• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

uchi dechi consideration, opinions?

40 cent

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure if I was looking in the wrong place on that website, but I couldn't find any info about the Uchi-Deshi programme at that dojo, except a little info to say that the club actually had one.

Without knowing a bit more about what the programme would be (eg how long, what sort of things you would be expected to do, is it a traditional Uchi Deshi program or is it more like simply becoming a live-in instructor etc etc) I can't really say what I think.

Why do you want to become an Uchi Deshi and how long could you commit to it for?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The uchi deshi program started in February 1996 with a purpose of giving the opportunity to anyone who has the passion and desire to study Kyokushin Karate and achieve great results in a short period of time. Sensei Kolovos has a high standard of black belts and a student training regularly 2 to 3 times a week would take 4 to 5 years, depending on their ability, to reach this level. An uchi deshi can achieve a black belt in only 2 years completing the same grading at the same time as every other student – this grading takes approx. 8 hours to complete.

An uchi deshi is required to live in the dojo and train 6 days a week with Sunday a day of rest. Starting in the morning with a jog or stamina and bag workout for 1 hour followed by breakfast. Before lunch a weights workout. After lunch is a rest period and late afternoon sparring, footwork, bagwork etc. followed by the evening class.

An uchi deshi is required to do at least 3 classes a day for a total of 5 hours training. At the same time they are required to undertake a TAFE course that includes anatomy and physiology, certificate 2 fitness core unit, gym instructor, personal trainer and nutrition so that in 2 years not only do they get their black belt certificate but all of the above qualifications as well, qualifying them to work in the fitness industry with a greater understanding.

An uchi deshi does not have a choice in the activities he/she takes part in; they are required to participate in all camps, tournaments, seminars etc. The purpose of this is to maximise their time learning Kyokushin Karate, with a minimal amount of distractions to achieve a high result in a short time.

The cost of the program is $500.00 as a registration fee for which they will receive $1200.00 worth of training equipment and clothes which includes 3 karate gi’s, all protective equipment, tracksuits etc. Then $130.00 per week is payable, which covers all food, accommodation, training, camps, seminars etc.

Here is your opportunity to train with the South Pacific’s most successful instructor, be a brilliant fighter and a good instructor with the backing of such a talented group. MKK is recognised as a symbol of quality; be part of it.

there is the info, very brief i know, im going down to discuss it further on tuesday, i will obviously think about my decision much before i make it.

the reason i want to do it? basically because for the past 9 months, work, and other of lifes tasks are a hindrence to karate. i would love to focus soley on kyokushin. i am training 4-5 times minimum at the dojo each week, then trying to do gym work, it practically is my life. the excitement has never worn off...i think i could learn a lot, in fact i know i would learn a lot, and think i am commited enough to carry it through. i would like to do a year, belts really dont mean much to me, im not doing it to get a black belt, i would do it, even if it meant staying on blue belt.

i look forward to your opinion, thanks, grant

The cost of the program is $500.00 as a registration fee for which they will receive $1200.00 worth of training equipment and clothes which includes 3 karate gi’s, all protective equipment, tracksuits etc. Then $130.00 per week is payable, which covers all food, accommodation, training, camps, seminars etc.

So, if you live in the dojo, and train all the time, how are you supposed to pay this? Sounds like a scam to me.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

You'd have to have lot of savings to be able to pay out for this course. A$130 a week for 2 years, plus $500 to register adds up to a lot of money, especially if you're not gonna be working for that time.

Good luck with it if you do decide to go for it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

lol :lol:

I have no choice BUT to do 'Street Fu' - my bank balance certainly won't allow for anything other than 'Poor People's Shotokan' at the moment. :lol:

Sheffield Steelers!

I have done something very similar, do it trust me it is hard but if you love martial arts it is worth it. ps. say good bye to your social life you may say big deal at first but give it a year

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

An uchi deshi is required to do at least 3 classes a day for a total of 5 hours training. At the same time they are required to undertake a TAFE course that includes anatomy and physiology, certificate 2 fitness core unit, gym instructor, personal trainer and nutrition so that in 2 years not only do they get their black belt certificate but all of the above qualifications as well, qualifying them to work in the fitness industry with a greater understanding.

Are you sure this course is not just to train you up to be qualified to teach for the head instrcutor while he collects the earnings. Do you want to get into the fitness industry, or be an instructor. You said you do not place high importance on becoming a black belt. You seem to be progressing well by training 4-5 times a week as it is. I do not see the added avantages or Uchi Deschi training.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).