• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate dilemma

40 cent

the idea of wanting more was reinforced last night when I was bashed by a group, and didn’t even throw a punch back(I was out numbered, but still, I feel like a * )

I am sorry to hear that you were attacked and did not feel you had to ability to defend yourself :( . I also agree with everybody else that you should approach your Sensai and broach the subject. But remember at the end of the day you are paying money for a service, and if you are not getting what you want out of the training then changing Dojo's, or even styles is not wrong or disrespectful.

Please let us know how it all turns out. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
delta, you always seem to know the best thing to say, i've seen countless ppl say "Yeah, good post delta" or "good advice", i'm telling ya, u should be a physiologist :wink:

Well, uh, thanks. I owe it all to a lifelong preference for hangin' around in Old Phart Bars. Now, I too are an old phart, so I pass on my lernin'. :)

By the way, was that a play on words there- physiologist vs. psychologist?

Freedom isn't free!

Well i think u should stay at your current dojo. The one with all the sparring doesnt sound like a healthy kind of place if is alls they do is spar. U could get hurt that way or not learn the proper technique that goes along with the style. But this is only my opinion.....and your situation sounds like the same as that one kid in that movie the karate kid haha. :) :karate: [/code]

This highlights what is wrong with the Kyokushin organisation today.

There are too many 'branches' and it has been diluted - to the point of not being Kyokuhsin at all in this instance.

If you want a hard full-contact style (and by hard I don't just mean hard fighting, I mean hard training) then you should quit your current dojo.

Talking to the sensei will not help if it is apparent that everyone is the same and there is no sparring.

We gave a karate demonstration in Japan Town San Francisco on Saturday.

A 7 year old green belt was breaking boards in front of 400 people and couldn't do it. Sensei wouldn't let him quit and ended up holding the board for him until he broke it on the 5th attempt.

Later in the demonstration, sensei put a baseball bat across two chairs (I held one end and another 3rd kyu the other).

He attempted to break it with a knife hand strike. It didn't break.

He kept hitting it, harder and harder until it shattered into pieces.

Later as we were changing I noticed his wrist was swollen up like a balloon and he was icing it.

That is the true Kyokushin spirit.

There is no concept of 'quit'

Osu!

ET

40 cent, it sounds like you are in a tough situation. I too am a Kyokushin student. Our dojo however is associated with IKO.

Definately your first action should be to talk to your instructer, just be honest and open about how you feel and see how he responds. If the response is poor than you need to figure out what you really want out of martial arts. It sounds like you would be much happier at the other dojo though.

How long have you been at your current dojo? Perhaps they do fight training but haven't done it recently?

In my opinion a good dojo is one that balances everything. Katas, fight training, technique and self defense. Before Christmas we were doing a lot of kata, and techniques and still got in some fight training and bag work. Lately we have been doing A LOT of fight training because it's tournement season for us.

I think a dojo that focuses on fighting ALL the time, isn't a good thing either... so perhaps find out some more info on the other dojo and see if they do other things like kata and techniques.

Good luck, hope everthing works out for you.

You have to figure out what you want to get out of your MA training, if you don't care about being able to defend yourself if need be, then stay with the dojo you are at, if you're like me and a major reason you are taking karate is to learn how to defend yourself, then talk to your sensai and see if he can get sparring into the class, if he can't, i'd say don't waste any time, get out of the dojo you're currently in, and go to the other one, hope all works out!

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.