• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate dilemma

40 cent

hey guys, well, as ive outlined in a few previous posts...my dojo doesnt like doing a lot of sparring, and has virtually no physical contact. i study kyokushin.

this was fine for the first few months, i learnt good technique and stamina through the basics etc, but lately ive wanted a bit more, and no one is able to do any extra work with me out of class. the idea of wanting more was reinforced last night when i was bashed by a group, and didnt even throw a punch back(i was out numbered, but still, i feel like a * :-? )

the dilemma is, there is another kyokushin club in my area, that has a MASSIVE reputation for creating hardened fighters, lots of sparring, lots of contact. which in the end is what kyokushin is all about. the problem is, finding a way to leave my club, who is associtaed with the AKKA, and go to the other club which is IKO. The senseis from each dojo absolutely hate each other, they used to be together but they split, so they are pretty much arch enemies....

what should i do? how could i make a move without pissing everyone off? or should i just be honest and make the plunge?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All IKO clubs should really be the same, it's the same syllabus's and the same training programs. In my style Trodai, I spar every lesson unless we are doing somthing specifically different on that day.

Is it your whole club that doesnt spar or is it just the lower grades, if so then u'll be sparring when u've moved up in the ranks. However if your club never spars then u should probably move club, or if the other club doesnt spar then try another style of karate that does.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

It is understandable that you don't want to upset your current schoolmates and teacher. But you are not getting what you want out of the martial arts at your current school, and can not be expected to keep paying and practicing something you aren't satisfied with.

The problem the two instructors have with each other is their problem, not yours. If he takes an attitude toward you for switching schools, maybe he isn't so well versed in the self improvement arts he apparently teaches. On the other hand, he may understand your position and wish you well.

I'd be honest with him. Tell him what you want out of the arts,and that you want to try the other schools approach to teaching it. Try not to close any doors behind you, as you may find the other school has some things you don't like as well. But, in the end, if he gives you an ultimatum or even a hard time about trying the other school, I'd make the switch.

Freedom isn't free!

delta, you always seem to know the best thing to say, i've seen countless ppl say "Yeah, good post delta" or "good advice", i'm telling ya, u should be a physiologist :wink:

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Whenever in doubt with something regarding your dojo TALK to the INSTRUCTOR. A respectful and relaxed approach can do wonders. If the head master is so hard headed and unaproachable, just quit and find other dojo.

We can only guess what's happening in your classes and all of the time we say go talk to sensei :) You have the right to ask questions and are entitled to receive answers. Never be afraid to ask and too shy to even look at the "allmighty"'s face (that's a general advice, not towards you).

I've foud out even the most tough guys are willing to give answers and the tougher they were they seemed to like students that weren't intiimidated by their "aura". In every day life it's a common thing to find out the "killer" was quite OK :D

So girls and boys open your mouth and talk. Don't be too shy but also have a respectful approach. You'll be amazed how many "unaproacheable" senseis are willing to hear and change something if it's the case.

Even if nothing happens you'll know you've done your best and thus be ready to move on without regrets.

Karate is not just about fighting... I spar every thursday and i wish i didn't. Because there is just one man that i know will alway be there waiting to kick me when i open up... :bawling: . anyways... If you want to spar, ask your Sensei to set something up. Or just plain out ask someone. Then people will watch then wanna join. Then your Sensei might make a class...

But Think about this. "For Ever action, there is a Reaction." Always think about what you getting into... unlike i have in the past.

I "ditto" all the advice about talking to your sensei. He's the best person to approach before you do anything else. If he IS unapproachable, then I think you'd do well to find another dojo. A sensei is in charge, but it doesn't mean he has to be rude and refuse to talk to students about issues.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

It is always hard choosing between different clubs. You have to go with what is best for yourself. I have just gone through this same sort of issue and have left a new organisation which I wish I could be a part of but it is not for me.

You only live once so don't settle for second best - go with the other club.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan