• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Dojo; The vibe.

Whats the general vibe in your dojo, is it laid back, with abit of small talk and humour? Are you all good friends? Or is it more formal and serious?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Definitely laid back in my dojo. We call each other by first names. we laugh when somebody falls on their butts. Basically, we have FUN! My personal philosophy is..."If you don't have fun doing it, then do something else!"

I know this will get some flak, and that's fine. It's worked for me since 1978, and that's the way that my personality, and teaching style is. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

We WORK hard, We PLAY hard!!!

We have a great time....we clown, we joke....but we know when sensei means business. Don't get up there your kata look like slop --- you will get shamed....no longer a joking matter. (My instructor used to be in the military so he will go boot camp in a quick minute!)

KarateForums.com Sempai

Very laid back. We just have a good time. Trained in grappling for two straight hours after our one and a half hour regular class tonight...I'm whopped

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Hard working and still relaxing. The instructors are always funny and still can take a legitimate comment. I've read loads about karate and this forum is also helpful in opening my eyes. So I tell my sensei where I think we could change something. I've been doing so since I was an yellow belt. Though I was a beginner he knew sometimes I was right so we discussed and some things changed for the better.

I'm a so called intellectual. So I don't like being called names or treated like a cell inmate. Not to mention I'm a woman and I always demand respect. Fortunatelly I get that. It's very important. The student always respects his/her instructor, but this must be mutual. And if there's a relaxed relation, everything goes even better. Karate training is hard and demanding. Make it pleasant and the results would amaze you :karate:

We have a friendly yet hard working group. Our senseis are tough yet still have a good sense of humor. They always give an honest answer to any questions you may have no matter how riddiculous they may sound.

They are open to new ideas and really enjoy training and teaching. They are not afraid to say I dont know for an answer and will try to find out. :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

We have a friendly yet hard working group. Our senseis are tough yet still have a good sense of humor. They always give an honest answer to any questions you may have no matter how riddiculous they may sound.

They are open to new ideas and really enjoy training and teaching. They are not afraid to say I dont know for an answer and will try to find out

if you werent from NY, i'd say we visit the same class :-)

my instructors are very qualified and they want us to become perfect at what we do. nevertheless they know how to make a good joke. last week they showed us some self defense techniques. they gave a really good slow motion performance :D

Our studio is the same. We get along and are friends, make jokes etc. But usually the mood of the class is determined by our Sa Ba Nim. If he's in a bad mood, watch out. No jokes allowed.

But he's the one who encourages us to be more of a community--not just a gym where you come and go and nobody notices. So that carries over to when we spar, practice self-defense, or forms. Everyone tries to help each other learn--without being too preachy or know-it-all. Although, we have one senior black belt who never shuts up. He's a nice guy in real life, but when he teaches a class he talks and talks and then yells if you mess up. But he's the only one, and our Sa Ba NIm doesn't have him as a full-time instructor.

Of course, there's a couple of psychos in class--but it's strange, they are nice people, and it seems like they don't even realize when they kick you or hurt you. Then you say, "Hey, that hurts," and they look abashed and apologize profusely.

but otherwise, most people are great.

Our studio is weird tho... it is like all what you discribed but... then it's more relaxed, and serious at the same time... Its either were playing around, watching tv, playing games or in class, working out, or cleaning. Also our sensei is being tested for shehan soon so he is very serious right now.But then again he is always serious...

The Central Gym when I practiced was definitely serious. Very little joking, and we trained HARD. I still miss that. The Gym now has gotten less serious, to the point where nobody takes it seriously. At the school where I teach, I have consciously tried to maintain the attitude we used to have. The students do joke with each other sometimes, but overall very serious, disciplined, and hard. But the comment I hear more than any other is that, despite the intensity, how proud they are to be a student there as opposed to the other schools, even within the same Organization. I also notice our students do much better at testings and tournaments than other students.

My opinion-Welcome to it.