• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Security Officer Job? - nightshift

Ironberg

Howdy, I'm looking for a job to fill me over until college comes around. I've already been hired as a Deli worker/cashier at a local supermarket. However, I recently have seen an add in the papers for a security officer. You need to be 18 (yes), and have a clean background (yep). The job pays much better, and is an all nighter position on about one or two days of the week.

Anyone else here a security officer - or was? Do you basically spend most of your time making sure doors are closed, checking alarm systems, and patroling the premisis?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security jobs, and assignments in the same job, tend to be varried. Depends on the company, what the customer contracted for, and what you are watching. Don't expect it to be like being a cop, and it can be dead boreing. Also, you aren't allways working with the best co-workers, as it isn't the type of job a lot of quality people decide to make a carreer out of. There are a lot of different kinds of security as well, but answering an add in the paper and without a lot of training and experience, you are probably talking about general security work: watching gates, makeing rounds, punching in at security stations, or maybe wearing a uniform and showing a presence. Not that it is bad work, just don't expect too much of it.

Freedom isn't free!

Yeah, u'll basically stand round and be a deterant agaisnt shop lifters. Obviously if somone steals somthing then ur gonna have to chase them and restrain them (becareful though, no exessive force). They do like it though if u know any kind of martial art and if u say u do karate then they'll probably higher u. If ur doing nightshifts then thats patrol outside the building most likely. It depends though, is it a 24hr business, in which case u'll be in the building as usual.

If u want a job with some action u could try for a bouncer, although u gotta be pretty big and mean lookn' :evil: .

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I was going to try bouncing, but I'm just not intimidating looking in my opinion...then again, some of the bouncers I've seen couldn't bounce a basketball, much less a rowdy drunk.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Yeah, u gotta look pretty scarey. Most bouncers are just a bunch of brawlers looking for some action. Someone who does any type of grappling art would do well, some good locks and grabs are all u need, obviously with some balls and abit of muscle behind them too.

Well, I applied, and I don't graduate from high school until June - so I'm out of their picture. Oh well, I'll just be content slicing and dicing chickens, etc. in the Deli.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Sorry that you weren't eligible for the job. Just for future reference though:

if you apply for a job as a security guard, seriously consider the place you're working for...i.e.: is there a lot of crime? Is the company just going through the motions of having a security guard, or has history proven that they really NEED one...and are you willing to put yourself in that kind of danger?

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Yeah, make sure they're not replacing the other 10 security guards that were gunned down in last nights raid :wink:

LOL

Yeah... It's not like I live in Chicago. I basically live in a miniature town in the tip of Minnesota near Iowa. The town is kinda slow and uninteresting, and I like to think of it as a dark cliff near the edge of the earth. Naw, the chances of me getting gunned down are about the same as me actually staying in this town: near zero.

Naw, the chances of me getting gunned down are about the same as me actually staying in this town: near zero.

You might consider going to Chicago- I hear they are allways looking for security personnel! :)

Seriously, when you do leave, you might just find out that the edge of the world is not such a bad place to live. My only problem, at least with this edge, is it can be a pain in the backside to study martial arts in a small town environment. Every time you find someone good and/or seriouse, they generally move away! Still, much as I enjoy going to Chicago from time to time, I'll take life here any day!

Freedom isn't free!