• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai bunkai

ESA-Shotokan

Okay, under the what I learned last night banner.

Has anybody ever thought what the very last move in bassai dai represents? That is, the bringing of the fist to the open palm.

The last double step shuto is an attack to the collar bone of an attacker, the attack being blocked by the kamae of the shuto action as you step forward.

After delivering the shuto strike, you grab hold of your opponent by the back of the head and woomf! Fist goes into their face as you pull them down towards it!

I totally did not know that!! :karate:

Similar applications apply with bassai sho and Jion/Jitte.

Good...very good stuff!

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thats a pretty cool bunkai which i had also not thought of! ive also seen it demonstrated as a pretty effective wrist lock.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

thats a pretty cool bunkai which i had also not thought of! ive also seen it demonstrated as a pretty effective wrist lock.

I've also seen the final move demonstrated as a wrist lock too (as well as a drunk karateka telling me it was a groin strike....but he would've believed the moon was made of green cheese at that precise point in time - one too many post-training pints!!).

That's one of the things I love about kata - there's always something new to learn and consider, no matter how long you've been studying karate. Plus, every move is meaningfull, its not just a fancy dance.

In my club we learn Bassai Dai from brown belt (3rd kyu) onwards.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

That's one of the things I love about kata - there's always something new to learn and consider, no matter how long you've been studying karate. Plus, every move is meaningfull, its not just a fancy dance.

Agreed. :)

ESA,

The interesting thing about Bunkai is that many think that there is only "one" application to a Kata movement/technique. This is typically, and not always, the truth... Kata application is sole to the interpretation of the performer of the Kata - vision of Kata application. When an instructor teaches Bunkai, it is his/her intrepretation of the Kata. It is also great training for you to explore all of the other applications of a kata movement or technique(s). This is critical to the Kata "performer."

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Agree strongly with both aefibird and killer miller, every kata move (i mean every, forget 'spiritual moves' and 'opening salutations', they're all combat moves) has an application, and while you could argue there must have been an initial application the kata creator had in mind, as long as the application you are taught or have devised works and is actually applicable in a real situation then it is a 'good bunkai.' of course if the move requires a specific sequence of attacks from your opponent, is performed at unrealistic range or fails to use the entire move it is a 'bad bunkai', but there are many many good bunkai. For example I have seen at least 10-15 'street' applications for shuto-uke.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Bassai Dai has several good applications one may use. Sounds like you just found one you like. Keep your mind open because there are many for each move in every kata. Thats the beauty of kata espically Shotokan kata.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."