How to defend against an uppercut?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but the upper cut is such a fast attack that it is hard to block.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I have to go with the kiai as the first line of defense. An uppercut to the mid section is quick and powerful, and no matter what you do it is highly likely it will connect. Also, move the target. A kiai will help you absorb the blow to your stomache, but if it connects with the solar plex you are in trouble, so you want to get the target moving even if he's going to land the shot. If you are guarding with both hands up and elbows in, turn and drop an elbow and try to take it on the arm. If you have a high/low guard with mid check in place, step and turn with a downward forearm block. Step in or out, whichever suits you, as either can set you up for and extremely quick counter strike with your elbow. Steping in can set you up to attack simultaneously on three levels: base, elbow strike from the block, and finger technique from the upper checking hand.

Freedom isn't free!

That sounds good to me, I think due to an uppercuts speed and limited distance to travel that wud be ur only option. Although fast I reakon u cud puff out a kiai and then be ready on the counter.

By the way do u guys learn how to take punches to the abdominals in ur styles?

Try kiai drills. Two of you stand facing each other at uppercut range. Take a horse stance. One turns his head to the side (you'll see why when you do this :) ), the other punches him in the abdomen. The one being hit kiais with every punch. The punches should start off light, and each hit gets a little harder. Keep the strikes slow enough that he has the time to breathe- a common error is to speed up as the power increases. When the strikes get too hard to take, the guy getting hit steps back, and the drill is over, and you change roles.

Medicine balls are also a good way to work the abs and kiais.

Freedom isn't free!

It wouldn't be anything to do with a ball of spit would it?

most uppercut are to the face

I dont know if ur talking about sparring or a street fight, but I disagree. I think in a street fight punches are mainly targeted at close range to your abdominal region, but I cant seem to think of an effective technique to counter it, or one that I can perform quick enough to stop the blow from hitting me, most uppercuts are very quick and dont telegraph much.

Deffintion of uppercut

a swinging blow directed upward (especially at an opponent's chin)

I have alot of street fight and non have ever try for my abs, they go right straight in the face.

And most sparring an uppercut are goes for the abs areas in real they go to your chin and to the face.

Do they called an uppercut in boxing if you uppercut somone on the stomach? do you mean a short punch?

The Jab

The Right Cross (from the rear hand)

The Left Hook (which is not a swinging roundhouse but a close, tight blow)

The Uppercut

The Palm Heel

The "Arc Hand" (a web-of-hand blow, usually to the throat)

The Edge of Hand Blow (or the "Knife Hand," as Alain calls it)

The Volleyball Smash (a palm heel smashed down with wrist action)

The Cupped Hand Blow

The Eye Flick (very similar to Wing Chun's Bil Jee, the "thrusting fingers")

Forearm strikes

Elbow strikes :karate:

I suppose it could mean to the chin or abdominals, either way its still very fast and hard to block.

Yeah I suppose I made my point phew, I went to see a muay thai fight in nakon ratachima in thailand and this 13 years old kid went agianst an 18years old, the bigger kid done a high round house kicck and missed because the 13 years old was only 5'4' feet and he was about 5'11, the kid dug and wham the uppercut in the face, it wasn't a knock out but it gives the bigger kid called spaorn nakolam a shock with dizzyness.

The uppercut is a devastating power punch thrown with the left or right hand. It is used when fighting/boxing in close and can be used as a set up for a combination (multiple punches in succession) or a knockout shot. The uppercut is often used when a boxer is looking at the ground, covering up to defend from hooks, or has an opening up the middle (a hole in the defense,i.e. hands down or forearms apart).

The most common mistake is to use the arm to punch and not use the legs. This not only takes away power but also leaves your face open for a devastating hook or elbow. An uppercut is delivered under the chin of the opponent.

While the uppercut can be a knockout shot it is in your best interest to always punch in combination. When an opponent is still close, you can follow the uppercut with a hook or elbow. The uppercut and hook combination is effective because the uppercut lifts up the opponent's head, which throws off his balance.