• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to defend against an uppercut?

How do you defend agaisnt one of these because i've not come across it yet in my style. The problem with defending against the uppercut is that it comes out of nowhere, has only a short distance to travel (when aimed at the stomach) and is at a awkward angle, not forgetting that its friggen powerful.

What would u suggest?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to avoid the uppercut is, not being there when it lands...lol. The upper cut is there and is hard to get away from. How I stop it is to clentch or tie your opponent up. This is also how to waste sometime in a match and it helps save a bit of energy. Boxers do it all the time and the official has to break it up. If you are tall and have the reach advantage than distancing is good in a fight. If you are short an uppercut can be used effectivly for a knock down/out. An example of this is Mike Tyson in his prime (before prison). He is short and used his uppercut very effectively. When he plays the distance game with a taller fighter he loses.

Your best bet to defend against this it to ask your Sensi or master on technics that can be used against it.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Sorry guys I meant in a real fight not sparring or competition fighting.

most uppercut are to the face

I dont know if ur talking about sparring or a street fight, but I disagree. I think in a street fight punches are mainly targeted at close range to your abdominal region, but I cant seem to think of an effective technique to counter it, or one that I can perform quick enough to stop the blow from hitting me, most uppercuts are very quick and dont telegraph much.

If it's an uppercut to the stomach, then try to twist your torso so that your ribs would face the uppercut, and keep your elbow tucked in to protect your ribs and defend against the shock of the uppercut.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Don't square up. Keep your lead shoulder pointed at your opponent. Use your elbow to misdirect it. If it does land, it will glance off, because it has minimal surface area to absorb it.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

1. Cover up and take it on the forearms.

or..

2. block with your arm. The arm position for the is similar to the hook punch and your forearm hits them near the inside joint of the elbow. (hard to explain).

Sway backwards, grab their lapels and come back with a headbutt. Just be careful that you don't headbutt their forearm on the way back.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

If you time it right and you have strong abdominal muscles then it is possible to take the punch, we train this in our style of karate and I'll guess its fundmental in styles like Kyokushin karate. Its also how they take punches in boxing. U tense ur stomach and breath out sharply at the point of impact. However I dont know if this would work with a bare fist, what do u think?