• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Designing your own Katas

Rich_2k3

Has anyone ever tried to invent their own kata, be it complex or simple in design? and maybe even gone on to name it (in Japanese of course). Although the katas that are intergrated into many karate styles have been created by experienced black belts, I think any middle grade martial artist would benfit themsleves by designing their own. What do you think and have you ever done it?

Also do professional tournement competetors in kata design their own?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the late 80's when I was really into competing in tournaments we used to design our own forms for competition and for demo purposes as well. In comp. a lot of ppl will create their own kata's, it gives the judges something a little different to look at and shows creativity as well as an understanding of how techniques flow together.

I've been a ytournament judge/referee for quite a few years and have always enjoyed a good, tradition kata in competition. However, many traditional kata are rather "unexciting" to watch, and a few of my students and I have designed a few kata on an individual basis, both empty hand and weapons, and have done quite well with them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with designing your own kata using your favorite techniques. Afterall, practice is practice! It can also help prevent the boredom of continuous repetitions of the same kata over and over.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you work on kata bunkai oyo then you are indeed designing your own defined kata application, so that is a legit way of creating your own kata. Think of how many combination sof oyo you could create? The options are endless. Of course, they should be of realistic use and not just a load of rubbish thrown together.

:)

Yeah,

The best way wud probably be to design an attack first and then create the kata to counter it, u could then scrap the attack or use it to demonstrate the kata. U'd need to think it through it though to make it look good.

Edited by Rich_2k3

If you are just putting together a set of blocks and attacks then really, that is just a combination.

If you are going to realistically design a new kata, then I guess you first have to be wanting to demonstrate a particular technique which you may have found in another style which could be incorprated into karate or the such.

The kata then would be used to demonstrate this technique; if you see what I mean?

:)

There should be tournements in which u create and demonstrate your own kata's, u would then earn points for technique but also for creativity.