• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ Similar to HS Wrestling?

Hi, I haven't been here a while but anyway...

I missed out on going out for HS wrestling and a definitely regret it. I really think I wanted some good 1 on 1 sport competition that was nice and challenging. So my question is would looking into BJJ be a similar subsitute to HS wrestling? I'm really only interested in sport/competition aspect of BJJ..BTW I am also currently learning Karate full time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kind of...but there are no submissions in HS wrestling. Plus, being pinned is of no concern in BJJ. I dunno, if you're looking for one on one competition, then go for it. If you're looking for something similar to wrestling...well, its two guys rolling around on the floor. That's where the similarities end.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Hi, I haven't been here a while but anyway...

I missed out on going out for HS wrestling and a definitely regret it. I really think I wanted some good 1 on 1 sport competition that was nice and challenging. So my question is would looking into BJJ be a similar subsitute to HS wrestling? I'm really only interested in sport/competition aspect of BJJ..BTW I am also currently learning Karate full time.

As a shotokan guy who has taken HS wrestling I can tell you its not the same. The BJJ, Aki & Aikido guys will own you once you get completely on the ground. I have found that my wrestling experience has helped with my positioning and balance where as I do not get swept very often and I am very difficult to take down from the clinch. When I tried to out grapple the grapplers I lasted longer than the other Shoto guys but once the triangle choke is applied just tap out. On a funny note I was being a wise * and put him in a cross arm bar which I had previously thought

was escape proof. Wrong!!! he bit me on the toe, promptly rolled me over and into the choke !!!! :o :o :o

Lesson learned.... :lol:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

On a funny note I was being a wise * and put him in a cross arm bar which I had previously thought

was escape proof. Wrong!!! he bit me on the toe, promptly rolled me over and into the choke !!!! :o :o :o

He bit you on the toe?!? :o

Did Mike Tyson start taking jujitsu?

On a funny note I was being a wise * and put him in a cross arm bar which I had previously thought

He bit you on the toe?!? :o

Did Mike Tyson start taking jujitsu?

Well, it was lunchtime.......

He was just busting my chops and showing me that when you think you have somebody don't take it for granted. :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.