• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the boxing guard(absorbing punches on forearms) vs. blocking/parrying each technique??

Also does forearm on forearm contact cause more damage than fist on forearm contact?

thanks...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forearm to forearm causes less damage because less weight is being thrown on a specific point rather than using the power of the shoulder and bicep in an elbow clash. Boxers use heavily padded gloves (12 ounce usually) and get tired quicker, a disadvantage.

Just stick to parring and blocking with the forearms to avoid blows to the face and body. The forearms in Muay Thai are toughened to avoid damage.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

an advantage of taking it on the forearms is that you are staying in tight, keeping it hard for him to get in a good shot. When you parry, especially if you are trying to parry flurries of punches, you've got a greater chance of eating leather.

an advantage of the parry is that when you parry downward, for example, you are redirecting his arm in that direction, placing it out of your way and leaving him open for a quick counter attack.

a disadvantage of taking it on the forearms is that some people will go flatfooted and stop all motion. Now, they are just sitting ducks, doing their best to not get KTFO.

IMO, use both - you may find one that you prefer, but at least you will be proficient with both. If you're an infighter, cover and take it. if you fight from a distance, parry.

I like to parry sometimes. But when I block with forearms, I can lean into the strike, wind up, and fire a powerful hand strike back. Before they have a chance to compose themselves. It makes for a good counter technique.

As SevenStar wrote, there are many good counters with parries as well.

If your talking bare knuckle, then the fists would have more potency against the forearms. The forearms have pressure points you can hit. With gloves, I don't think either are very affective. I can take solid round kicks to the forearms without much affect. Some of them hurt, but it is not an immobilizing pain.

Edited by Justfulwardog

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

I also like the forearm block, because it leaves me in my guard. So I have more options with defensive actions, and offensive strikes.

Sometimes when I parry against a highly skilled fighter, they can put me on the defensive. I am to busy parrying multiple strikes to fire back.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

They're commonly refered to as counters. It is not an easy discipline to measure or acquire - you need more than just hours of strenuous training, you also strong muscle memory and a good partner. It can take a relatively short amount of time to be an offensive fighter, but for that fighter to acquire countering defensive drills it takes many many years.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

In close and up the center, where things tend to happen real fast, my "guard" tends to resemble the boxers. It supports a lot of in close strikes, like elbows, while covering the head and upper torsoe well. The vertical outward block,done as a double bone block, resembles the boxers guard on one side. After it takes the punch, it is in good position to follow the punch back, or even be carried by the withdrawal, into a hammerfist.

The disadvabntage of the boxers type guard is that, especially as range increases, it leaves your mid and lower body open. To make matters worse, the primary defense with this guard is evasion useing a lot of twisting and ducking. Great for getting the head out of the way, but the lower trunk is relatively stationary. Nice targets. Fotwork is floating, hopping, leaves the base vulnerable. And stance is square on more than I like, leaving a few lower targets exposed that I'd rather keep protected.

Blocks- I'm not a fan of blocking just to stop an attack. The block should do something, either to or with him. Position him, drive him back, flow into a trap, cut and strike, .... .

Paries- the classic parry to an overcommited punch is not that common. But, they still work great if you move in as you parry. Position is relative, after all. Parries can also check, trap, flow well into cranes. They can drive a limb back and pin it. Parries can be soft, but are usually more effective done hard, like a heel palm strike that rides and/or moves the limb. Elbows, knees and feet can parry. You can parry up, down, across, diagonally, overhead, ... pretty versatile. I like them. But a parry should have a purpose- it should quickly lead him into doom.

Freedom isn't free!