• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips for grappling with someone larger than you

I'm only a white belt in Judo, so I don't compete yet. But my TKD school also teaches some grappling. I learned some moves already before I signed up for Judo (which made it a bit easier for me).

That's about what I had guessed. I was basing it on your comment about strength. Strength actually plays a big role - you'll see when you compete. Technique is key though.

Thanks, Seven. I'll keep that in mind. White had good advice also.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Rich is right. It's not about strength. It's about technique, timing, and leverage. In Judo, we don't use strength at all. If you can get him in an armbar or choke, he won't go nowhere without tapping first (my two fav moves) ;)

Come on man, Judo doesnt use strength? Judo uses an AWFUL LOT of strength. Don't get me wrong though, the idea is to off-balance your opponent so he doesnt have all of his strength. Sorta like, suppose his strength is 8 and yours is 6. You off balance him and he loses half his strength making him a 4. Then you, at that point, are stronger than him. Thats when you put all the strength you have into that throw, thereby launching him to the mat.

If I were to rank which styles strength means more in I would say that strength means the absolute most in wrestling and the least in Jiu Jitsu with Judo being the middle ground. The only reason why I rank them this way is because of the objectives in each of the styles. In wrestling you cant win from your back, so everyone is pushing for top and you know it. In Judo, the idea is to throw someone and anyone who does standup grappling (takedowns) knows its physically demanding and very exhausting and after awhile (length of Judo black belt matches = length of BJJ white belt matches). In BJJ one can fight from his or her back and still be winning the match.

So, for the original post, I like to use guard to fight larger opponents- many big guys are very hard to take down, but easy to sweep. That being said, most big guys arent very good once you put them on their back.

Strength matters just as much in Judo as it does in Jiu Jitsu. Good technique requires less strength, even in stand up grappling. This holds true for all grappling arts. A person who is both strong physically, and has great technique, is truly dangerous; but a weak guy with flawless technique is going to win. Judo is about breaking balance, not overpowering your opponent.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Agreed, it is, but coming straight from the Judokas that teach at my school, Judo uses more power than does Jiu Jitsu (perhaps because of the objectives in either- it requires much less strength to choke someone for the win than it does to throw them to the ground).

Even take for instance the ground fighting in Judo- its very aggressive and very wild so as to keep moving so the refs don't stand you back up.