• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking of opening a MA store

Budderfly

I'm thinking of opening my own martial arts supply store in the next 5 years and have it eventually lead distribution of supplies to schools in western Canada. The demand is large in my area.

I'm hoping you can help me with a couple questions.

As a consumer, what do you look for in a martial arts supply store?

As a school owner, what do you look for in a martial arts supplier?

If anyone has any bit of info on supply stores, positive and negative feedback or anything else please post it here.

Edited by Budderfly

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well that's a good idea indeed. I guess you'll have to have some unexpensive equipment along with the "great names", expensive but useful for those who'd like to give some money for quality. It's important to have some costumers that afford expensive things. A good place and promotion are also important.

Those are all good ideas the others have provided.

On the down side, you'll be competing with instructors themselves (like me) who order at wholesale prices, and charge the studetns retail prices. I absorb the shipping into my profit and that keeps the students from ordering gi, weapons, bags etc themselves because they save on shipping, and I make a few bucks in the process.

Basically, I get what I want at wholesale prices (doesn't everybody?) for myself and wouldn't purchase at a retail store.

It's just what I do, and have been since about 1979.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"