• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Both Hands

cross

Im just wondering how many of you practise using both hands at the same time.

An example is blocking with one hand and striking with the other on one 'beat'.

One of the reasons for the hand being chambered at the side during kihon is so you become aware of the position of the hand all the time. This should help you with your double hand techniques.

Wing chun uses this kind of thing quiet a bit.

So tell me your thoughts..... :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We use it quite a bit when we get up to brown and black belt. Practicing double handed striking or simultaneous blocking and striking is a good way to speed up your reactions. It also helps you to think about what you actually do with your hands when performing certain techniques. I found too that it helped me break away from the mould of automatiacally putting my 'unused' hand chambered on my side, which is alright for beginners, and in basic techniques, but isn't so good for sparring.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We teach blocking, counterstriking and shifting your body (change of body) simultanously, as soon as the student can understand it. Most often still while a white belt. It is an intrigal part of this system and it is worked on at every class during self-defense, sparring and basic warmups. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Quite rarely at my level (6th kyu).

We have been practicing Asai-sensei's Junro kata a lot recently though - which involve a few double-handed techniques (e.g. jodan barai + gyaku tsuki, double-handed punches) - as they are soon to become standard in the JKS curriculum.

We teach blocking, counterstriking and shifting your body (change of body) simultanously, as soon as the student can understand it. Most often still while a white belt. It is an intrigal part of this system and it is worked on at every class during self-defense, sparring and basic warmups. :karate:

ditto

Freedom isn't free!

I find this interesting because there are a couple of thought processes here. Okinawan Kenpo and many other traditional Okinawan styles (such as Go-ju-ryu) practice what is commonly called double blocking. In these styles this refers to parrying with the non-blocking hand that is already extended then “blocking” with the other. Now I know I’m not revealing any hidden secrets when I say “blocking” is a rather subjective term. Blocks mean you are hitting an attack coming at you. Technically the attack isn’t just the fist, but the arm and body behind it as well. Thus when a double block is applied the initial parry often clears the attacking appendage out of the way and the primary blocking hand actually hits the opponent, usually in an area more vulnerable then the arm. This creates a block and strike within very close time proximity. It is however not simultaneous. Of course neither are a block and a strike thrown at the same time. While they may be thrown together, the block connects first and the strike second. The same is true of double blocking only it encourages use of the already extended appendage while striking with the other vs. rechambering then blocking and striking. Still there are situations that either may be appropriate. I just think that the term simultaneous may be a bit misleading in regards to actual application.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

You're correct Sauzin about the blocks being both offensive and defensive, but not simultanous. However, we also work on stepping to the side, blocking and counter striking all at the same time also.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Sauzin, excellent point! While sometimes the 'block' and strike occur simultaneously, more often they occur as you state here, with a quarter or half beat delay between the parry and the 'block'. To continue the theme, your initial parry gives sensitivity to your 'defense'. The 'block' can actually be a pinning check, parry, positioning block, crane and pull, cutting punch, ..., whatever flows into place. It all depends on relative position and what you feel him doing. This is one of the reasons I prefer the term 'recieve' rather than 'block'.

Freedom isn't free!