• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Karate!?!

Eiichi

Please clarify this, what the heck is "american karate"? I just don't get it. Is it a watered down version of Okinawan and Japanese karate? I just don't understand how you can call karate American. :-? :-? :-?

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not certainly positive on this issue, despite the fact that I practice "American Karate". The style I study is mostly Tae Kwon Do. All the kicks, punches, and hyung are reminiscent of ITF Tae Kwon Do, but we do not spar the same as ITF practitioners. Some of our one-step takedowns and submissions and arm breaks are reminiscent of Japanese arts. Still, probationary black belts are expected to study wrist locks and flexes that stem from Aikido. Our methadology concerning heavy bag workouts seems to be more kickboxing.

I am being expected to write a ten page plus paper for my black belt examination in the summer. One of the topics is the history and development of so-called "American" Karate. My instructors almost seem to be keeping this subject of the roots of our style mysterious, until now (they are willing to help with research).

Ironic, isn't it? I'm actually asking for your aid in understanding the history of my own style. I just practice what I've been shown, I've never taken the time to probe deeper into history.

By the way. My school is part of a big chain simply called: American States Karate (ASK). We seem to be stationed primarily in Northern America; dotting Wisconsin, Southern Minnesota, and the like.

If I had to guess: I'd say that American Karate is a mix of these styles - Tae Kwon Do, kung-fu, American kempo, Aikido, Boxing, and kickboxing, and a tiny bit of juijutsu (thanks to some of our takedowns).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

"American Karate" would seem to be the style practiced by students of the students of Jhoon Rhee in his Texas days. Often it is TKD based (i.e.: Chang Hon forms) and emphasizes tournament techniques. As for its quality, that often depends on the individual instructors. There are god and bad practitioners in Colorado. Fred Bode and Hale Hilsabeck were quite good. Stephen Oliver is a menace.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 2 weeks later...

Is not modern day karate 'american'? Are the modern day karate forms of western society not Anglo-american brought back from exploits in Japan and the far east during and after WW2?

javascript:emoticon(':karate:')[/img]

[/b]

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

I supose everybody's definition and idea of what "American Karate" is will be different, so here's my idea.

I beluieve American Karate is sonmething that American's took from traditional Japanese, Okinawan, Korean, etc martial arts and either attempted to improve it (that's up for debate of ocurse), or taht has already been mentioned, combined several arts together and called it a generic name...such as AK.

It's not much different that what America has been doing for its entire history. Taking others ideas and running with them and changing them and calling it their own.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

shorinryu sensei - I have a topic in the karate forum called 'why do you do karate' It is linked western society and their perception of karate. Maybe you would like to add to the discussion. I am doing research for my masters degree.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

I wrote a bit in there, but have to go. I'll try to expand on it later if I can.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

thanks shorinryu sensei.

Anyone else like to help me?

the comments so far on there are really useful