• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How could Bruce Lee be so good, He wasnt evan a Black Belt

wow...ALOT of pointy fingeres here.

I was wandering about what Batman said, "didn't bruce lee say, "belts only purpose is to hold pants up"". I heard a simulere settence in "Dragon: the bruce lee story". (Starring Jason Scot Lee, not bruce lee). Although It was more like, "the only thing belts are good for, is to hold your pants up". I know that was how bruce looked at it, but, did he really actually say those words?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linda is his wife. And that Movie is not very loyal to Bruce Lee's life. So who knows. But I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce Lee wasn't a fan of belts since it is (at least was, don't know about today) unseen in chinese MAs. Even Japanese/Okinawan styles used to have only 2 belts...white and black.

I don't have anything against belt systems. I think it makes it just way simpler to learn with such a system. You can concentrate on what you have to learn and get proficient in before moving on to other stuff, and with school these days, where students come and go whenever they want, its much simpler for the master to follow the students. And I find it that it helps my motivation, to have some short/middle term goals in my training.

It only gets problematic when students depend too much on belts. the black belt is not the end of your training but a new beginning. And lower belts does/should not mean the student is inferior, or vice versa.

And about the thread topic, well I have only read the last posts but Yip Man did not give away belts, so yeah Bruce did not finish his training with him but he was one of the most competant students.

off topic : Apart from his dedication, bruce's talent comes from his (snake like) speed. Read somewhere this was partly due to his abnormaly fast metabolism.

Edited by MenteReligieuse

What is Long Quan Pai?

Do you have a link?

Its a typical northern style from the Tang Dynasty.

I searched google for one and found these:

http://lqp.jay-chou.net/

Dont really know what its about but maybe something

http://www.shaolin.dk/dragon.html

This is on danish, sorry.

Iv found many other links, but there wasnt anything name the name in full. most of them was named long quan, but since theres many dragon boxing styles, I didnt think it was of any use when it wasnt concrete.

Thats the bedst I can do. Tell me what you think about it.