• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How could Bruce Lee be so good, He wasnt evan a Black Belt

Bruce lee has influanced us all and all martial arts today he was the most important things to happen to martial arts ever and we are living in his time we will never know all of bruce. also if you watch old videos of him something was great about him. i think the reason we never seen bruce fight was because at his level there was no reason to and he never abused his power. jkd is just a taste of what he was. we would be mindless followers in martial arts if it wasnet for him to give us the ok to use what works not what the instructers family has been using for 100 years he showed us breaking the mold is a good thing. he only simplified what all new in are hearts when shown a technique we cant use in a street fight or not comfortable with. to modify it to fit our needs. use the natural tools of the body is faster and speed is power and no fixed positons. he was the best

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MartialMan, please, elaborate on your own views, instead of junking up a forum with statements like that. Of course it is a matter of opinion, opinions are all you can get from talking to people.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

you cant tell me that you havent been tought a technique thats is not been combat effective? in case you in a yoga class if you have did you not see any way to modify that same move to make it work for you in combat? well back when bruce tought he broke that mold saying its ok to do that in a time when that was not ok. he also tought blacks, whites, and anyone who wanted to learn that was not exepted. thats why he was great not just fighting skills he improved view of martial arts and made them more available to us. i can type all day about bruce and never touch who and what he was you have to see in his time it effected us today. thats all im saying his influance has made are instructers trian for real senerios. in the old days they did some of it but mostly used fixed postitions.

Instead of facing combat in it’s suchness, quite a few systems of martial art accumulate "fanciness" that distorts and cramps their practitioners and distracts them from the actual reality of combat, which is simple and direct and non-classical. Instead of going immediately to the heart of things, flowery forms and artificial techniques (organized despair!) are ritually practiced to simulate actual combat. Thus, instead of being in combat, these practitioners are idealistically doing something about combat.

Worse still, "super mental this" and "spiritual that" are ignorantly incorporated until these practitioners are drifting so much further and further into the distance of abstraction and mystery that what they’re doing resembles anything (from acrobatics to modern dance) but the actual reality of combat.

quote from bruce tells it all also i might not have trained j.k.d but i have studyed bruce and his j.k.d seen it in action i have combat knowlege therfore i can see somthing i have never seen before and tell you if it works or not pretty quick.

you cant tell me that you havent been tought a technique thats is not been combat effective?

You mean that any technique that I have learned, some were not combat effective? So I have a couple of not-combative techniques? Is this what you are saying?

in case you in a yoga class if you have did you not see any way to modify that same move to make it work for you in combat?

Yoga and combat? I might as well make combat moves out of basketball.

well back when bruce tought he broke that mold saying its ok to do that in a time when that was not ok.

How people interpret Bruce Lee's philosophy intrigues me. They use him as a martial art savior with a martial art bible. I was INTO Bruce before you were born. I saw two of his mi=ovies when he was still alive.

he also tought blacks, whites, and anyone who wanted to learn that was not exepted. thats why he was great not just fighting skills he improved view of martial arts and made them more available to us.

Us who? other people of many ethic backgrounds studied many arts. he wasn't the first.

i can type all day about bruce and never touch who and what he was you have to see in his time it effected us today. thats all im saying his influance has made are instructers trian for real senerios. in the old days they did some of it but mostly used fixed postitions.

No, you are mi- interpreting old days and old styles being inferior to Bruce Lee and JKD. You are taking his words of philosophy too literally and using them to support your opinion. If you are so "wrapped up" on Bruce Lee and JKD, why are you taking those other arts? Give an example on a "fixed position" in a old art and in the old days.

Instead of facing combat in it’s suchness, quite a few systems (some NEW Arts) of martial art accumulate "fanciness" that distorts and cramps their practitioners and distracts them from the actual reality of combat, (some NEW Arts) which is simple and direct and non-classical (the very thing that you do is based upon classical).

This is what many NEW ARTS do compare to old ones. So new arts have a tendancy to "sell out" because there wasnt such a thing as belts, foam dummies, rings, padding, etc. So your observation should be the other way around

Instead of going immediately to the heart of things, flowery forms and artificial techniques (organized despair!) are ritually practiced to simulate actual combat. (again-some NEW arts than old ones) Thus, instead of being in combat, these practitioners are idealistically doing something about combat. Dogh?

Worse still, "super mental this" and "spiritual that" are ignorantly incorporated until these practitioners are drifting so much further and further into the distance of abstraction and mystery (So ttrying to keep the discipline and art out of martial art no longer applies?)

that what they’re doing resembles anything (from acrobatics to modern dance) but the actual reality of combat. (some NEW Arts)

quote from bruce tells it all also i might not have trained j.k.d but i have studyed bruce and his j.k.d seen it in action i have combat knowlege therfore i can see somthing i have never seen before and tell you if it works or not pretty quick.

Yeah right, based on how many years of expereince?