• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How could Bruce Lee be so good, He wasnt evan a Black Belt

...but not the best.....

he was never the best.

he had a little dream and that was to beat wong shun leung.

this was supposed to happen in a scripted fight in one of the films (can't remember which),

as a kind of in-joke between bruce and wong shun leung,

y'know, cos it would never really happen....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: y'know, i have no idea if that's true or not, but i'm just gonna' assume it is, cuz that's kind of funny :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

....i keep getting in my head that wong shun leung was supposed at the top of the pagoda instead of the tall dude.

maybe one of the bruce lee fan(atics) can correct me...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I am actually offended by this thread. Or at least that martial artists have lost all aspiration and just yearn to be Blackbelts. I am a purple belt in Bok Fu and I can Still beat bost black belts at kickboxing. Not because of some cloth tied around my waste, but passion for a deeper understanding of the style. My uncle was an 8th Dan in wing chun and you know how he died? a bullet to the back. Whether or not your a black belt makes no difference whatsoever.

I am actually offended by this thread. Or at least that martial artists have lost all aspiration and just yearn to be Blackbelts. I am a purple belt in Bok Fu and I can Still beat bost black belts at kickboxing. Not because of some cloth tied around my waste, but passion for a deeper understanding of the style. My uncle was an 8th Dan in wing chun and you know how he died? a bullet to the back. Whether or not your a black belt makes no difference whatsoever.

Mike Tyson is a very dangerous fighter and he doesn't have a black belt in anything either.

:lol: That's true!!!! :P

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

Bruce Lee never claimed to be the best, and as stated before, a black belt doesn't mean anything. Most martial arts schools will tell you that achieving your first black belt is just learning the basics. Now concerning why Bruce Lee was so good with martial arts, he spent years perfecting what he learned. He studied Wing Chun Kung Fu with Yip Man for many years, and studied with Jhoon Rhee for at least 5 years in the Tae Kwon Do style. He used what he saw as effective in martial arts moves, and didn't believe in using katas or prepared forms of movement. Street fighting is what he did, and that's how he trained. A black belt isn't needed for that, nor is it attainable.

Bruce Lee studied many arts, especially the days before he cooked up Jeet Kune Do. Bruce Lee's primarily influence was his Chinese martial arts training - there are no belt systems in classical Chinese arts.

A black belt is just a piece of cloth. It means nothing unless it means something to the person who truely earned it as a symbol of their success, alot of people can't get that idea through their thick scull.

I very much Agree.......Great response.

But I am troubled by this other:

I believe he got black belts in a style of Karate, Tae Kwon Do (maybe, I don't know it that's true).

Sorry to hear about your uncle...my condolences....

However, I have never heard about Ving Tsun students receiving Black Belts or Dans...used in a Karate terminology.....

Further, you are right about the Black Belt misconception and the training wasted by the discharge on a bullet.

And, I am sure your uncle was appreciative of what he had learned.