How could Bruce Lee be so good, He wasnt evan a Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a blackbelt used to mean a lot more than it does now. i mean ive walked into dojos and watched people do their exercises and wonder to myself...how in the hell did that guy recieve a black belt? there are so many hacks out there today its distgusting. a blackbelt used to take a lot of hard work and determination to earn and not 9 out of every 10 people would pass. i mean i used to think that a blackbelt meant u were good of course now i know differently but i cant help but wonder and even assume that maybe there was a day where a blackbelt did mean something. no bruce lee was never a blackbelt in anything but so what? he revolutionized martial arts in so many ways and practically made it famous to the western world.i believe in some way we were all influenced by what bruce lee did and even today what he stood for. im sure somewhere out there during the course of history there was someone who couldve beaten him but u know what? that person didnt do * for martial arts compared to what bruce did which is why i believe him to be the best ever. anywho thats just my little rant u can take it as you will.

..also quite meaningless seeing as his base was in a chinese style.

i mean, at that point in history, if he did have a black belt (in a chinese system) then it would've meant something else entirely....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not that big a fan of bruce lee...but...

belt system in japan is about a hundred years old

belt system in japanese karate is even less

In Okinawa, most people didn't wear black belts formally until after Chosin Chibana died (so around 50 years ago).

Bottom line: The belt system is really brand new...

EDIT: as this topic comes up, I just usually link to this old post of mine at the top of the page...

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

he did not have a black belt in anything. i belive he got to second form in wing chun and did not even go to his sifu's funeral. but all of this does not matter. he is considered by many the greatest martial artist of all time, not for how many competions he won but for what he did for martial arts in general. he brought it to the people like no other person at that time. yes he had great ideas and so forth. so let's move on, he has been dead for a while now. the man was smart to point out all lot of the problems with fixed styles. personally i would have loved to spar him.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

al i know he is very good
kickboxerdude04

he was very good.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"