• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms - Stiffness to Fluidity

I'm a practitioner of Karate - and though my favorite activity is sparring, I'm actually pretty good at kata. Being curious of all styles, I've grown to like kung-fu-ers at tourneys I go to who show off some pretty darn good forms.

The style of Karate I practice is very rigid in the forms. The "iron bar" illustration bruce lee pointed out in a karate punch is very well describing my style of karate's usual punch. IF someone like me was to start learning some kung-fu, how would the power I've developed in kata translate to a kung-fu form?

I should also point out, that low deep stances are also intigrated into some of my kata. Would that help with some styles such as "springy legs", etc.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might look at some of the kenpo/kempo styles, as they generally combine the hard style you are used to with the softer moves, and all with flow. Taiji is another good option if you want to make a complete change.

Any way you go, but especially if you choose one of the CMA styles, you would have to learn a whole new way of moving. Your current studies and conditioning will help. But you will have to learn to loosen up. Weight transfer and distribution, ballance, power generation, ... there are a lot of differences.

Freedom isn't free!

You might look at some of the kenpo/kempo styles, as they generally combine the hard style you are used to with the softer moves, and all with flow.

This is exactly what I did upon my return to MA after a 15 year absence. I recognized that my Karate style was hard (although not as hard as Shotokan) and was really curious about softer styles. A few years ago, I visited some schools in my area and found a Shaolin Kempo school. They start off with hard and move to soft as you advance. This was a perfect mindset for me. I learned that I was stiff and predictable. Now I am learning how to be fluid and then adapt techniques, both hard and soft, as the situation requires.

Once again, Delta1 gets a :up: for his comments. :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for the replies. I'm rusty on Chinese terminology - is Shaolin Kempo another name for Shaolin 5 animal kung fu?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Not quite kung fu, but it does have the 5 animal influence. It came from the Kajukenbo lineage from Hawaii.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hawaii, eh!? I'm starting to feel ignorant. Is Shaolin Kempo basically a watered down version of the original kung-fu art, or what?

CMA Katas, we call it Routines, are very different from other MA Katas. The basic requires, Hand/Eye/Posture/Stances/Spirit/Breathing/Power/Skill (手, 眼, 身法, 步, 精神, 气, 力, 功). Other style would require different aspect of the above 8, but usually the similar. Another point in routine will be "Loose" & Rythme.

Wushu Routines are also catergories into Trad and Contemp/Northern and Southern.

IF someone like me was to start learning some kung-fu, how would the power I've developed in kata translate to a kung-fu form?
Different routine/style requires different aspect of acquiring power and distrubution.

Karate is a Hard Form, there is no way your power can be translate into a Soft Form, say Tai'Chi.

But you can in another, Nghor Chor (5 Master Art - popular in Sarawak http://www.visitsarawak.com/wushu/main.html)

I should also point out, that low deep stances are also intigrated into some of my kata. Would that help with some styles such as "springy legs", etc.
Not sure what routine you are refering to "springy legs". Low stance is a requirement in most routines, but not as a dead stance. Some wushu routines require low stance and fast leg movement, which is actually the correct technique in using your waist and weight distrubution between your legs.

The above are only base on barehand routines. Weapons Routine will require another different sets of techniqes to transfer power from your body/waist/arms/wrist to the weapon and different parts of the weapon.