• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why start with instructing kids?

mostly when I hear about martial artists starting to teach, they start to teach children. In a way i understand the logic in this , however i find instructing adults much easier. Especially instructing experienced martial artists. not because of the curricilum but the teaching itself.

So to gain teaching experience I prefer teaching (experienced) adults.

I have instructed children as well (short self defense course) but it was harder to find safer drills etc because they have less control.

You really have to adjust the techniques and training drills to the development of their age group. It takes quite some thinking to do this. at least it did to me. There were sertain drills I didn't dear to do because I was afraid a kid would get hurt.

With adults I find it easier to come up with realistic training drills while still maintaining safety.

what are your opinions and experiences with this?

so vis pacem para bellum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it is easier to teach adults because they can understand the concepts behind techniques. However, teaching children is very gratifying, especially when the lightbulb comes on and they finally "get it." It is simply a matter of making a connection with the child.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

yes very difficult to teach children. even if i remove "children" from my statement it wud still be a very valid statement. who says teaching martial arts is easy? that's why i don't teach nor allow children to join in training.

You really have to adjust the techniques and training drills to the development of their age group.

exactly

why did we surrender lord?

I think it's a test, in some ways. To teach kids, you have to really like teaching. It teaches you how to look out for your students (more likely to be careful with kids than adults) teaches you how to deal with class issues (discipline, answering constant questions, bathroom breaks) etc.

On the other hand, some people might have their junior instructors only teach the kids class because the level of instruction is "not as important" and they just need a really fresh young body to wear out the rugrats. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 1 month later...

yes teaching children IS very difficult but you also have something to gain by doing this. when teaching kids you have to break down everything so that whom ever you are teaching can understand. this also allows you to gain a better understanding of what you are doing. i believe that teaching is a very big part of learning. it helps you understand yourself better. teaching adults to me is an easy way out but thats just me because at the dojo where i practice teaching is part of learning.

teaching adults to me is an easy way out but thats just me because at the dojo where i practice teaching is part of learning.

Well that's not a very nice thing to say. :evil:

Whatever. I don't like to teach kids, mainly because they are usually not that interested in learning. Mostly, they're there to play and/or socialize. Also, parents tend to toss kids to MA schools as an alternate form of daycare, which i find rather insulting.

To me, martial arts is a passion. I've studied most of my life, on the mat and off. It is rare to find me not thinking about it, so i'm not interested in training someone who 'does not think about it.' I find many adults who are half-interested in the arts, and state they want to train with me or learn from me, but most who subscribe to study... are interested. I can't say the same for kids.

You can call it an easy way out. I prefer to look at it a bit more honestly.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

For a school to maintain economic viability it is a necessity to teach kids. If you have to break down what you know to its most basic in order to teach them you will also enhance your own skill and understanding of what you are doing in the process.

Many senior instructors don't like teaching kids, and pull a deligate and disapear act. As if the kids class doesn't really matter, anyone can teach it.

Kids classes also require a higher instructor / student ratio. So there are more positions to fill, and less people wanting to do it. When your at the bottom, you get the jobs others don't want.

I love teaching kids.... I also enjoy teaching adults. The two are very different and require different methods.

One thing I can't stand is to see someone that hates kids teaching a kids class. Kid's need to have fun in class, if they don't they won't learn anything. Instructors that try to run a kids class like an adult class rarely get anywhere. Just get frustrated that all the kids want to do is play games and not learn.

Another thing I can't stand is people that hate kids, but like having the ability to be able to tell others that they teach kids. Be it martial arts, daycare, sunday school, school outings or whatever.

If you don't like working with kids then do the kids a favour and let someone that does do it.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

For a school to maintain economic viability it is a necessity to teach kids.

I couldn't disagree with you more Sai. There are many economically viable schools that do not cater to, or even provide instruction for, kids. As well, exploitation of parent' ignorance, or of kids... for profit... when you cut it down to the roots, it doesn't look at all honorable.

If you have to break down what you know to its most basic in order to teach them you will also enhance your own skill and understanding of what you are doing in the process.

Breaking things down to their most basic is required, regardless of the audience. The difference is, having to repeat it over and over again because the kids aren't listening. Anyway, i find teaching elderly to be far more challenging. But, they listen and give you 100% of their attention when in the class.

If you don't like working with kids then do the kids a favour and let someone that does do it.

Just to touch on this... i like kids, always have. Enjoy playing games with them and they enjoy playing games with me. But i put martial arts into a different category. I don't view the arts as a game, but as a passion. I met only one kid who also held it as a passion, and no parents who tossed their kids into an MA school.

Because of this, when i've taught kids "in the past," i've been put-off by their lack of interest. In short, teaching kids the martial arts undermines the pride and respect i hold for those very same arts. That doesn't mean i've done a disservice to kids when i have taught them. It means i've done a disservice to myself.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro