• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Kata

aefibird

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the first kata in my club is khion kata which in my opinion is really boring especially when you know it and the sensi keeps showing you over and over again ..but i suppose you really need to perfect your moves

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

At our club I learned the Takiyoka Sono Ichi (sorry for spelling error).

We also went over Pinan Sono Ichi but it wasn't required to know for 10th kyu testing.

We had to know Takiyoko Sono Iche and Sono San and a Takiyoki kicking kata (that I forget the name of).

the first kata in my club is khion kata which in my opinion is really boring especially when you know it and the sensi keeps showing you over and over again ..but i suppose you really need to perfect your moves

Just because you know the movements of a kata doesn't necesarily mean that you 'know' a kata. Even with such a simple kata as Kihon there are many applications to it and a karateka could practice it for years and still not acheive perfection with it. Your sensei probably keeps showing it you over and over again to help you get the feel for the movements in it and corect timing.

Keeping on doing Kihon kata might be boring, but whats the point in moving on to more complex kata if the first basic one hasn't been properly learned and understood?

My instructor once said that it takes about 4-5 years to even begin to master the basics of karate; that's roughly how long it takes to get to blackbelt. Remember first dan blackbelt is still classed as a beginner - having the blackbelt shows that you're serious about your training if you're prepared to train for 5 years to sill be classed as a beginner at the end of it!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

If you don't learn the Heian/Pinan kata first in your club, which kata do your beginners get taught first, and do you know if there is a reason for teaching that particular kata first?

My organisation starts all beginners off with Kihon (Taikyoku Shodan).

Sesan

Gekisai Dai Ichi..followed by Kihon (Set 1) and then ShiponIdo (sp?)

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Empi kata.

I asked my Sensei about this (I got quite a reaction after revealing this kata in another thread!), and he told me that it's a toned-down version of the actual empi kata (commonly taught to black belts). He also told me that he never really understood why it's our first kata, it's just the way it's always been done in this dojo!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

First Kata's in Taikudo are Heian Nedan and then Heian Shodan.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

In the karate dojo's I've trained in the following kata are taught first:

Style / Kata

Okyuno Ryu / Nijushichi Undo (27 Movements). A stationary kata in horsestance that has you go through most all of the hand strikes & blocks in the system. It really emphasizes the horse stance and using your hips for power.

Nippon Shorinji Kempo / Taikyoku #1

Matsubayshi Shorin-Ryu / Fukyu kata #1

Seibukan Shorin-Ryu / Wansu (though when I started, the first kata was Seisan)

In the Korean styles I've trained the following kata are taught first:

Style / Hyung(Poomse)

US Tang Soo Do MDK / Kicho Hyung Il Bu, E Bu, Sam bu(Basic Form #1, 2 & 3 -3 forms similar to most I-pattern Kihon kata you see in a lot of schools. These were followed by the Pyong Ahn series Which we all know are Korean versions of the Pinan/Heian Forms)

United Federation TSD / Kicho Hyung Il Bu, E Bu, Sam bu (These are the same forms taught in MDK TSD. However the United Federation follows them with their own set of 9 forms called the Dolpun(sp?) series.)

Sohng Ahm Taekwondo / Sohng Ahm #1. (To me this is the coolest "white belt" form I've seen.)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."