• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Kata

aefibird

If you don't learn the Heian/Pinan kata first in your club, which kata do your beginners get taught first, and do you know if there is a reason for teaching that particular kata first?

My organisation starts all beginners off with Kihon (Taikyoku Shodan).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taikyoku 1 is the first kata I learned. The reason is to introduce simple stepping and to sort of "learn how to learn" kata.

My Dojo first introduces Taikyoku Gedan to the students. Simply because it introduces the basic movement patern of the first 7 or so katas (The I) and the Shiko Dachi. After this the white belts learn Chudan and Jodan.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Yup, Kihon Kata (Taikyoku Shodan) for me too. Even now, I constantly work on the first gedan-barai, oistuki combination - trying to attain top speed with good form; it's a good one.

Also the gedan-barai turn after the first kiai! One day I will master that to a point I feel it is exceptional. Every now and then, there is a quiver and my front foot will slip or the stance nto be wide enough. Even the most basic kata have lessons for us all to learn.

Good stuff.

:)

Also the gedan-barai turn after the first kiai! One day I will master that to a point I feel it is exceptional. Every now and then, there is a quiver and my front foot will slip or the stance nto be wide enough.

My Sensei teaches that one quite explicitly to guys, he says that if your testes feel like pancakes after doing the turn you did it right.

Taigyoku Shodan is first kata in GKR.

Do not meddle in the affirs of geeks

for they are subtle and quick to anger