• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dealing with highschool

Alright, here as some issues I've encountered at my school that really annoy me, and I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to deal with them.

Hall Rhinos

- What's with people purposely slamming their shoulder into you, or just simply charging down the hall without any consideration for others, while you're walking down the halls? My highschool has about 1,800 students, and the building is relatively small, so you always have to kind of turn your shoulders to get by people without running into them. But then there's these idiot kids that just walk straight through you, and if that means running into other people, tough.

Anyway, I've grown sick of these people, and I've started "bumping back". If I see a "Gangsta fo lyfe" strutting down the halls while grabbing his crotch, desperately trying to keep his pants from hitting Ground Zero, I don't bother to make way for him either if he won't make way for me. So, I haven't gotten into too much trouble from doing this, just a short, harsh exchange of threats, "Yo! I'ma get mah homiez on yo *!". But is there any better way to deal with this? I guess I should probably just ignore it, huh?

Napoleon Syndrome:

- Field and Court Sports (just a fancier name for PE), we've been playing floor hockey, and there are these guys that golf that puck around like Tiger Woods, and hit at the puck while it's in the air... I've already been hit in the head TWICE. So, for the safety of myself and others (oh boy, aren't I the upstanding citizen) I asked the guy who was doing it the most, to tone it down a notch, politely. And he responded with a tsunami of curse words that sounded something like, "Ayo!! *@#&@ you! **@# *&@# the I*&@# who do you $#$& think you $#*&*#$ are, #@*&*#@?! I do wuteva da *&@#*@ I want, @!*&@#$!!!!!" The funny part is that he was maybe 5'6" and at 100 lbs or so, I don't even think his voice had dropped yet. Anyway, I just kind of laughed at him, and told he was going to regret swinging like that again. Later on, my friends told the coach to keep an eye on him, but that hasn't fixed anything... the coach doesn't do ANYTHING, now, almost after every game, I get into some type of verbal fight, and it usually ends with the guy charging at me with his stupid hockey stick.. and then stopping in the middle of his tracks, ending with some smart-aleck remark, "yeah, you're lucky, I'll swing fo' realz next time, dawg".

Now the situation' escalated, he actually did bring his "homies" and they confronted two of my friends and I while we were walking back to school from lunch (off-campus pass, yay!), they didn't really know who they were dealing with, the fight ended with a few violent shoves, and my friend pinning one of the guys to the wall and telling him to watch himself.

So, my question is, how should I deal with this crap? The last situation in particular. What I would really like to do is teach them a lesson the hard way, but the consequences would probably be more severe than I could account for, not to mention a three day suspension, facing possible expulsion. Can anyone else here relate to any of these situations? How did you deal with them? I can't even imagine what would happen if any of them found out I praticipate in martial arts.

Highschool sucks :/

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Regis, so I was spared some of the things you have to deal with, but I do sympathize with you. The best way to deal with this may be to try and avoid those involved. Its April, and therfore you really only have to put up with this for another month or so.

However, don't try to start fights. No matter how morally right you feel yourself to be, to the school and to the police, you will be in the wrong.

It sounds so trite, and I know you will roll your eyes at this, as we all did, but High School isn't forever, and the petty pecking orders that exist there are temporary.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Don't worry youll get even, just wait till your high school reunion. :D

Life has a funny way of evening the score. For example.....

I had the pleasure of interviewing someone exactly like you described above for a job. :brow: :brow: :brow:

Revenge of the Nerd Indeed!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. :P

(BTW I actually hired the SOB he grew up. :roll: )

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Revenge of the Nerd Indeed!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I recently heard the saying, "Be nice to the nerds, for you will probably end up working for one." How hard do you think Bill Gates is laughing? :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Those who think they're hotstuff in highschool, end up growing up and finding out thier slumming on the side of the street as an adult.

Take comfort in that. The punks who rhino their way through hallways, or act like tough guys, thinking their all hot, invariably grow up to find that they're unemployable. They end up with the jobs nobody else wants.

Yes, there's nothing to gain by taking offense to the idiots in high school. If you know they're not packing, or that they won't be packing in the near future... determine then if it's even worth it to escalate the 'distractions' that exist in this educational institution. You're there to learn, to gain an 'academic' education, not to gain a fanbase or strut your stuff. Keep this in mind.

As to the kid who keeps high-pucking it, talk once again with the coach. Go so far as to state that the kid is supposed to be on the same side. If you really don't like his activity, make a formal complaint or bring it up to your parents' attention so they can follow up on it. But, in all things, keep your perspective. Don't go entering into a battle that just isn't worth it.

As they say, choose your battles wisely. Oh, and stop trying to be such a tough guy as a response to others trying to be tough guys. Testosterone flows in only one direction... up. ;)

Edited by White Warlock

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Try and keep your head down and get on with it as best you can. I know that grabbing the hockey stick from that *&"^$&*% and beating him round the head with it would be a satisfying thing to do, but you're gonna get into sooooo much trouble if you get into fights with him - especially if the staff find out you do MA. (Some teachers can be funny about MA and see martial artists as some sort of violent nut jobs who like kicking other peoples heads in.)

Try complaining again to the PE coach. If that doesn't work complain to a senior staff member and tell your parents too. I shouldn't think they'll like the fact that someone is trying to brain you with a hockey puck every PE lesson.

Just try and remember, though, that you'll soon be out of high school and never have to see puck-boy or the rhinos in the hallway again. I know that it sucks now, but will it really be something that affects the rest of your life. I know I sound like a preaching old giffer (well, I am!!) but work hard and try and ride it out until the end of the school year.

Good luck with it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

ok, i'm a bit confused here.

what do you gus call high school?

i mean, what year groups is it?

i keep thinking that it's yr7 to yr11

or is it yr12+13?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Highschool - grades 9 - 12, ages 14 - 18 (generally)

Are you from the UK?

Thanks for the posts, everyone. I never had to talk to the coach again, since we've stopped playing court hockey. And I haven't gotten into any further trouble with anyone since the first encounter.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill