• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Splits?

Steinhauers

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can usually do the splits both ways when i'm warmed up. Easiest way i've found to reach that point is to stretch several times everday with a wide variety of stretches until you reach a point where you're happy with where you are. Also it helps a great deal to be warmed up really well (get a light sweat going) when you're stretching to expand your flexibility. One of my dojo mates is a personal trainer and advices against just doing static stretching without warming up your body properly. Also something that helps as you develop more flexibility is to work on getting the strength in your legs to use it. There's a lot of ways to do this but a drill I like to practice is throwing slow jodan mawashi geri and ura mawashi geri holding for two seconds at extension with a partner for a target (helps with control too). I usually do it a little higher than my head level (most of my training partners are between 5'10" to 6'2" and i'm 5'7"-8") just do it as high as you can until you develop the necessary strength to maximize your control of the flexibility you have, i was amazed at how much this drill helped my jodan geri.

Your "junk" doesn't have to hit the ground to do a good kick but if you're extremely flexible it makes your jodan kicks faster and easier to perform. If you're flexible enough to not feel any resistance when you kick at another fighters head level it will be alot easier for you to kick them in the head.