• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which kick do you rely on defensively

Opponent Advances. Gut has an opening. Which would you do?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Opponent Advances. Gut has an opening. Which would you do?

• Defensive Sidekick
    • Defensive Frontkick
    • Forget kicks! Down comes my fist!

I use the side kick, it works well and jams people up. It works great for creating openings.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I use the side kick, it works well and jams people up. It works great for creating openings.

If the side kick is working well for you, keep using it. I've found however, that the side kick can leave you much more open to a counter because when it is swept to the side (pretty easy to do actually) you end up with your back to your opponent and off balance. With the front snap kick you are much more stable and less likely (but not always) to be in such a situation.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If the side kick is swept to the side, a back kick is quick to follow. I can relate to this but defensively usually refers to someone rushing in. Kinda hard to sweep something away when rushing in to attack. A front snap kick would work well too.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

If the side kick is swept to the side, a back kick is quick to follow. I can relate to this but defensively usually refers to someone rushing in. Kinda hard to sweep something away when rushing in to attack. A front snap kick would work well too.

Actually, not if it's done properly and fast. The side-kicker will generally fall down on his back because he is "spun" by the block and since he's on one foot, will fall to the side, landing on his back. I've done this many times while sparring. If you, the side-kicker, knows it's coming, you can compensate for it...but not if you have surprise on your side.

Ask another student/instructor to throw a hard side kick at you. As he does, step back 1/2 a step and use both hands, fingers extended and reach behind the heel and slap the kick to the side quickly. it will cause the kicker to lose balance and fall backwards. It's easier to show than to explain....and be careful not to try to use your fingers to stop the kick...makes for broken fingers real easily! :P

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My front kick is loaded with atoumatic. My side kick will make my opopnet think more wisely.

I agree.

I'd pick front kick, especially to somewhere painful like the groin!

Kicking to the knees and shins is also effective too..

:D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm a front leg front kick man myself. It works really well for me because I usually fight from a southpaw stance to begin with. Though I learned a kick in TSD that is great for getting your opponents attention. It's called Peek(sp?) Chagi. It's basically a cross between a front kick and an inside crescent. Works almost all the time cause they usually don't see it coming - but kills the knees if your not flexible...

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."