• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Want some good dvd's and books

40 cent

Hey guys, i was just wondering if any of you could recommend some 'must have' videos, books or dvd's in martial arts.

I study kyokushin, so i plan on buying all the books by mas oyama, and im thinking of buying the dvd set of 3 on kyokushin? but its nice and expensive :roll:

so yeah, it doesnt strictly have to be kyokushin, just anything entertaining, helpful on martial arts, whether it be the mental aspects, training techniques or so forth. or even just some good fight action or good reads :)

cheers, grant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recommend Karate-Do:My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi. Even for those who don't do Shotokan it's a good read.

I like the 'Best Karate' series of books by Nakayama, but they're mainly for Shotokaners.

Sorry, I don't really know any good Kyokushin books (apart from the ones by Mas Oyamas, of course).

Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger is a great book for any martial artist, not just those who do Aikido. It is a good picture of living and training in Japan.

For a funny book on the Martial Arts I really recommend Fudebakudo (https://www.fudebakudo.com). It is soooooooooo good!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 4 weeks later...

40 cent, I have a bid for The Mas Oyama Bible (I think that is what it is called) if/when I win it, I'll review it for you and let you know if it's worth it.

Are you looking for videos that have tournement coverage? Or are you looking for a video with Kyokushin Kata's and techniques to help you learn?

were can you get these books or dvds?

I bought most of my karate and aikido books from amazon.co.uk but I recently got a shotokan dvd from play.com

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Various prices for the books. The 'Best Karate' series are about a tenner, the dvd was 14 pounds.

The best karate book bargain I've had so far is a copy of Aidan Trimble & Dave Hazard's 'Karate Kata Applications' book. I paid £3 for it (because I'm a member of Sensei Trimble's organisation and got a good discount!) and I've even got it signed, but then again I'm sad and tragic and need to get a life...

If you're in the UK try Blitz for books. I think their website is BlitzSport.co.uk , but I could be wrong.

Sheffield Steelers!

Best deal I got for a book was a book written by Bobby Lowe. I can't remember the title, but I found it at a used book store for like $2.00. It had a lot of the Kihon techniques plus some self defense. It came in handy because I sometimes have a hard time remembering the lingo in Kyokushin.

double post sorry

Edited by returning_wave

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Ok, my choices. i dont know much about kyokushin so general karate best buys:

Bunkai-Jutsu by Iain Abernethy. Legendary work.

75 Down Blocks: Refining karate technique by Rick Clark (i think :)) . will get you thinking.

The bubishi translated by Patrick McCarthy.

Solo Training by Loren Christenson (sp?)

the Bunkai-Jutsu video series also with Iain Abernethy.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."