• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shito-Ryu Suparinpei

fugimugim

can any one help me, I Need To Locate a video clip of the shito ryu version of Suparinpei, so far my searchs have proved unsucessful :-? , also a video of shito ryu Gojushiho would be great. thank you :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At the risk of sounding nosey - where do you get these kata video clips? It's kinda cool to have that kind of access to media of that nature.

Edited by Ironberg

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

:: EDIT :: (Accidental double post)

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I don't know what that is, (it looks like a wierd comglomeration of Seipai, Kururunfa, and Shisochin) but it is definitely not Suparinpei!

I have seen Shukokai Shito practitioners do Suparinpei, and their kata pretty much resembles the Goju version.

Your best bet is to break down and buy the Shito Kai's kata videos. I know that Tsunami sells them in the US, and I think you can get them from Kamikaze in Europe.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

It's the shito ryu version of the TSKA...so yes, it may be different then the kata you are use to. Think of it like shotokan sochin and shito's sochin.

OSU!

sj

PS: A shotokanized verison also exists, but I'm sure you'd say 'it isn't so!'

At the risk of sounding nosey - where do you get these kata video clips? It's kinda cool to have that kind of access to media of that nature.

Did you need a kata? I must have over 35 empty handed kata on video on my hard drive :D not to mention weapons kata, and kung fu forms.

sj

It's the shito ryu version of the TSKA...so yes, it may be different then the kata you are use to. Think of it like shotokan sochin and shito's sochin.

OSU!

sj

PS: A shotokanized verison also exists, but I'm sure you'd say 'it isn't so!'

I still have to question it. Did Tani Chojiro make the changes? I compared it with the Suparinpei on the Seito Shito Ryu (Mabuni Kenzo), JKF Shito Kai, and JKF Itosu Kai tapes, and all three of those organizations do the Naha Te Suparinpei. I also had the pleasure, while living in Seattle in the 1990s, of practicing with several practitioners of Hayashi-Ha Shito, and one of the kata they taught me was Suparinpei. Again, this was the standard Naha Te version of Suparinpei.

The version presented in the video clip may be one of the kata Mabuni created. He created a variation of Kusanku (Kosokun)called Shio-Kosokun, which has a sideways embusen, as well as other kata like Nipaipo, and Hako. I wonder if this isn't one of those kata that has been mislabeled by the person who owns the website?

For the originator of this thread (whom I see practices Wado), if you are attemtping to learn this kata for a tournament, be very careful about using this particular version. Especially if it is a WKF sanctioned event. You would likely get disqualified.

As for the Shotokan version (Hyakuhachiho), and the Wado version, both follow the Naha-te model.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I have to agree with Equaninimus, this is different then the Superempai I have seen. You can get videos from Kamikaze.com which is the Canadian company. Less Shipping and Handling charges.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)