• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips on getting those excellent High Kicks.

If you want to perfect your high kicks you need to first perfect your lower kicks. A way to develop the muscles need to kick high is to put one hand against a support such as a wall. Raise your knee in chambered position for round, hook, or sidekick. Slowly extend the leg and perform the kick. Make sure to do the motions SLOWLY. This will develop the muscles needed to perform high kicks.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree Withers :smile: Good advice.

I'm fairly good with my low kicks and even high ones, now. But After two years of MA, I still can't do a side split (straddle split)! GGGGRRRRRRR. I'm not worried about high kicks or front splits (I can do them already), I just wanna be able to do a side split! :grin: My side kicks look good, but they are low :mad:

When I started TSD, I couldn't do s**t. I mean the word flexible was not in my voc! LOL So the above it a BIG difference for me, but all the "normal MA stretches" are not working for the side splits anymore.

Any tips for the side split? I perfer tips for high side kicks mainly.

Thanks in advance.

Laurie F

You don't need to be able to do full splits in order to kick high. For side splits get into the split and tighten your muslcles as if trying to pinch the ground with your butt. This is called isometric stretch. It builds strenght in your muscles while making them longer. That is the reason people can't ge t into full splits. However, if you're still young then don't do this exercise.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

You don't need to be able to do full splits in order to kick high. For side splits get into the split and tighten your muslcles as if trying to pinch the ground with your butt. This is called isometric stretch. It builds strenght in your muscles while making them longer. That is the reason people can't get into full splits

Well actually.... No this isn't why!

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2318&forum=19

That isn't the only theory on kicking that works. His system is great as I have read the book but some things I vary for the fact they work better for me. As for being able to kick high it is a fact that you don't need to be able to do full splits. I can almost kick 180 degrees straight up but can't get into a full strattle split

No I agree Withers ... I was just giving Laurie advice on how to work on those side splits for her side kicks. Actually being able to perform a side split does help with the height of your side kick.

Although the lengthening of muscles does occur when stretching to allow for flexibility it may not be the only way (for most people) to achieve a full split as you stated.

- "If you want to perfect your high kicks you need to first perfect your lower kicks"

True, True (as usual).

I think if the stretching regime in your training is good, and you practise regularly, you'll slowly but surely get higher and higher. I make no special effort to kick high, and still notice dramatic improvements in my kick height.

Get your kick right and practise at a maximum comfortable height (not your absolute maximum, only to where you can still do it "right). Use a small target you can adjust the height of, and practise accurate kicks on this. Keep up with the stretching, and the target will naturally start getting higher and higher, till suddenly one day you are kicking head high, without even realizing it.

Today in class sensei asked me to kick a paddle, which she held at what I thought was a "challenging" height. :bigwink: I made a wry face, gave it my best shot... and my foot sailed clean over the top of the paddle... :razz:

"Control - you must learn control". Hehe, without it height or power are useless.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Also, what do you want to kick high for? For fighting, forms? What is your main objective. The reason I ask is if you want a nice clean kick such as a roundhouse kick that is high for forms then you need to perfect the technique so that you are strong enough to place the kick where you want it to go and to be able to hold the kick for a split second before rechambering it. In forms you don't want to just snap a round kick out. However, in fighting you don't want to hold your leg out for obvious reasons.

Pete