• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips on getting those excellent High Kicks.

I stretch intensly every day for at least 10-15 minutes. Im getting better and better. I can do kicks and touch my face with my knee, but I always see these people in book or on TV that do crazy stretches or kicks. I STILL CAN'T DO THEM! :kaioken: I will see a guy stretching on a pole exactly parallel to it, and I see a guy with each foot on a brick using no hands and balancing perfectly. These people can do awesome kicks. But, in a Street Fight it would be stupid to kick someone in the head, on the other hand a head kick would be quick and deadly. Please tell me your trick or tips on how to get that good High Kick! :karate:

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD_McGee ... I think we kinda touched base with this question in the Health & Fitness forum under the thread Flexibility Determination. Read through again.

If anyone does have MORE secrets to share go ahead and post ... but the real secret is to keep stretching... and maybe you just aren't physically pelvically proprtioned to achieve that dynamic crazy kick and stretches. Yes, I have seen that guy staddled between 2 metal folding chairs that claim to be in his 60's that can stretch like that cold. hmm..... do we believe everything we see and read?

right now dont worry so much about height..height comes later when you have more flexibilty and more foundation..we all want to rush in and start throwing high kicks and jumping spinning kicks...it is when you rush and not have enough skills in your basics..that you will do nothing but learn how to throw high kicks that will either miss or not have enough power becuase you have neglected training...footwork..target training ..or follow through with your body (or body mechanics) for maximum power on the kicks..theres alot involved in throwing kicks properly..its not all just about getting the feet up there..also work on your strecthing for flexibility...concentrate for now..learning how to kick low properly or body level..as you progress those high kicks will come..and they will be fast on target and powerful..just dont rush :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

I can only kick body level with my side-kick. With my roundhouse kick, I rely on momentum to kick face level, which is also what I rely on for my front-kick. They are strong kicks because of good technique, just not flashy. :nod: uh-huh,uh-huh,uh-huh...

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

• 6 months later...
I agree with Taezee in that you will have to be patient and continue stretching. Try balancing against something and throw your kicks as high as you can using your balancing point to keep from falling down. If you want to do more than this try ballet it is a great help in strengthening your hips for high kicks. Now kickchick it is not nice to bash on the elderly that think they know all about everything and us young wippersnappers don't know squat. I tried the old fart's methods and got nowhere fast. Just keep practising and you will get it.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Stick at it!! Practice thats all it is. The more you stretch the better you get. The key is to relax that is what it is all about. Sit and static stretch in front of the TV or reading a magazine. Forget about your legs and they'll relax. If you think 'pain' they'll tighten.

Try stretching out your chin to your toes rather then your face to your knee. This will keep your back straight and improve your stretch.

I believe if your an active person anyone can achieve the splits in 3 months. (provided your not pelvically thingy ma-wotsit)

Oh and before anyone mentions it. Being able to do the splits is hugely impractical, stupid in a street fight and people who do karate will kick your a$$ :wink:

Bretty :razz:

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-06-18 13:59 ]

Yes, frequent stretching is important. Your legs can get stiff right away! I don't recommend that you "stretch intensly every day for at least 10-15 minutes." One day, you should stretch hard, and every second other day, you should stretch lightly. I'm not a fitness expert of a doctor, but this is what I do for each stretching work-out.

1. Do light and gentle ballistic stretching for 2-5min.(Bouncing into a stretched position.)

2. Go for a run or Throw kicks for 10-20minutes. Get your muscles hot!

3. Do Static stretching. Make sure you hold each stretch for 20 seconds.

I find that some martial artists stretch too intensely before warming up their muscles. This causes excessive strain and tear on your muscles. You should only stretch lightly if your muscles are cold. To get a more intense stretch, make your muscles hot. (This is very important!!!) By warming up your muscles, your muscles become more elastic. Make sure you hold each stretch for at least 20 seconds; in order, to get the full effects of stretching. I also prefer static stretching rather than ballistic stretching. Be careful when doing ballistic stretching. If you bounce too much or too quickly, you can easily pull a muscle. Be gentle.

Good luck!

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt