• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thin Bare-Knuckle Gloves

Ironberg

I'll admit it, it's probably unhealthy, but I like to beat the heavy bags bareknuckle. Sometimes when I'm in a real bad mood and am full of adrenaline I beat my fists until the skin begins to open up, and I'm showering drops of blood on the canvas and my gi. Sometimes I'll even get blisters on my feet, but that's a different story.

One day, I did this until I got a somewhat uncomfortable feeling between the bones of my smaller fingers and on my pinkie. This stopped after I stopped. For future reference, do you recommend the thin gloves that allow the knuckles to breath. Are these gloves expensive. I like to call them "street fighting" gloves cuz they look like they only protect the puncher - and also allow easy grappling. Part of the reason for this madness is to toughen the skin of my knuckles and slightly densify the bones.

The best way to describe these gloves are grappling gloves with knuckle holes in them - only thinner.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my sifu says, if your knuckles beeld too much, your punching is sloppy.

but i can understand how it happens.

hitting a spinning bag is a sure-fire way to remove skin from knuckles.

if your aim is to toughen up the skin, punch the bag slowly, aiming to hit with as much of the fist face as possible.

however, any toughening up of the skin is purely temporary as after a month or so or not punching the bag, the skin kinda starts to peel.

i've noticed that excessive sun on your knuckles (think driving/steering wheel grip) speeds this up.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

The bag is hung by three chains that connect to a central chain that tie to a girder. Therefore, the slightest bit of sideways force can cause quite a bit of spinning - especially in combos. I'm not saying my punches aren't sloppy, but I can't say the equipment isn't either.

So how about those gloves? Anyone else use em to train in?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Bag gloves- they're inexpensive and really save your hands. Like DrunkenMonkey said, if you are toughening your knuckles, punch slower and with good technique. Open wounds are not tough, so use the toughening exercises to work on technique. Then put on the gloves for a dynamic workout working on aim and relative angles.

Freedom isn't free!

Good idea. I'm learning the hard way that having skin taken off doesn't necessarily help.