• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's that knifehand move in Heian Shodan?

iolair

In Karate before the styles I've done did not have the Heian katas, so I'm teaching them to myself from the internet now.

I've got a couple of good images which show the final state of each move, but not in detail how to get there (videos are no good - I have a 56k connection!).

In the last four moves, you end up in kokutsu dachi (back stance) in a knifehand block (shoto uke). Exactly how do you move into these positions?

Thanks!

BTW, is there any relationship between the Pinan Kata and the Heian Kata, or are they entirely separate?

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From your last right punch in a right forward stance, turn counter clockwise pivoting on your right foot, and sliding your left into a left back stance with left shuto block. Then slide your right leg 45* to a right back stance w/right shuto block.

Repeat the same way on the other side. Hope this helps.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Well, I don't understand exactely your question. shoto uke can be used as

a block for incoming oi-cuki or an attack at the neck of your opponent.

Try this link :

http://www.ozwebart.com.au/kua/kata.htm

All the heian katas are there in the format of the famous blue vids. Right-click on the link and say save as. Once u have them on the desktop you should be able to see them without problem.

BTW there are all the 26 katas somewhere out there in this format but I forgot where I got them from.

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends."

-- J.R.R. Tolkien

1.st kyu Shotokan Karate

1.st dan Aikido

To answer your other question, yes, the heian katas are slightly modified versions of the pinan katas. The pinan katas were originated by Itosu, Ankho. The heian and pinan katas were devised to teach school children karate in Japan and Okinawa respectively. Heian shodan is actually pinan nidan and pinan shodan is heian nidan.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Thanks - those videos showed me everything I needed, and were "only" 10 minutes each to download... Now I just need to repeat it a couple of hundred times until it become familiar!

Some of it is quite familiar from the Pinan kata that I half-remember from 14 years ago!

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Thanks - those videos showed me everything I needed, and were "only" 10 minutes each to download... Now I just need to repeat it a couple of hundred times until it become familiar!

Some of it is quite familiar from the Pinan kata that I half-remember from 14 years ago!

They are suprisingly similar. ive grown up with the Heians and have recently started application work in private using the videos of Iain Abernethy who does the Pinan versions. There are only a few minor versions, and the applications for both are very similar.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

From your last right punch in a right forward stance, turn counter clockwise pivoting on your right foot, and sliding your left into a left back stance with left shuto block.

What punch? I think you reffer to the technique done after the series of shuto uke ... It's NUKITE. Looks like a punch, but it's an open handed technique. So not quite a punch :D The elbow rests on the left palm which "looks" to the grownd. It's a couple of techniques. A block downwards with the left hand ... forgot the name ... then almost simultaneusly you hit nukite. Don't foget to change stances and kiai.

After this you turn CCW on your right foot in kokutsu dachi. Right arm is like in a gedan barai block, but with palm open, protecting your solar plexus. The left palm is near the right ear, with it facing the ear ... From this you use the couple of forces and execute shutouke with the left hand, while the right one is now protecting the plexus.

Hope I made my self clear. It's easier to show than describe (in a foreign language :karate: )

From your last right punch in a right forward stance, turn counter clockwise pivoting on your right foot, and sliding your left into a left back stance with left shuto block.

What punch? I think you reffer to the technique done after the series of shuto uke ... It's NUKITE. Looks like a punch, but it's an open handed technique. So not quite a punch :D The elbow rests on the left palm which "looks" to the grownd. It's a couple of techniques. A block downwards with the left hand ... forgot the name ... then almost simultaneusly you hit nukite. Don't foget to change stances and kiai.

After this you turn CCW on your right foot in kokutsu dachi. Right arm is like in a gedan barai block, but with palm open, protecting your solar plexus. The left palm is near the right ear, with it facing the ear ... From this you use the couple of forces and execute shutouke with the left hand, while the right one is now protecting the plexus.

Hope I made my self clear. It's easier to show than describe (in a foreign language :karate: )

you're getting confused. the move you describe is from heian nidan (pinan shodan) not heian shodan (pinan nidan). there is no nukite in heian shodan.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Well I'm an IDIOT. Thought it was Nidan.

I need some rest.

Yeah the explanation was OK :) It's important to do the entire move with the hands, to use that couple of forces and try to keep your balance. Sometimes it's difficult to do the turn in kokutsu dachi without flailing your hands.

Tell us how it's going.