• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's you're opinon on sparring?

Shadow, here in Australia there are at least two quite different styles of tkd, one as you describe, designed more for sport, and the other puts much more emphasis on the hands. I do the latter and have competed with a degree of success against karate guys at all styles tournaments, and found that our styles are very similar. And we block everything, even in no contact or light contact sparring.

I do know of some traditional TKD schools and unfortunately they are far away. But sparring in Olimpic TKD is hardly useful.

1-up!

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I train the students have no qualms about kicking the crap out of each other. He says if you can't take a beating with the pads how do you expect to take one without them, which I agree with. However, do to my friend Mark Delquadro and I's bad habit of bloodying the other students noses he doesn't let us spar anyone except him and the other black belts that come to visit, which I believe contradicts what he said becase none of the other lower belts are gonna be able to take a hit because they b**ch everytime someone kicks them in the face.

Well gee, you think maybe it's because they're there to learn, and not find themselves having to go on disability at work, lose their home, and have to go on welfare? In this day and age, health is more important than a 'realistic' workout. Most people have financial responsibilities and dependents. They provide the bread and butter that keeps their dependents alive.

When you're at a training hall (dojo, whatever), you're working with other people who have 'paid' to learn a martial art. It is only logical to assume they didn't pay to have someone put them in the hospital. It's always important to remember this, because the 'other' students in the class aren't there for your amusement.

Personally, i think you need to learn to respect everyone else in the class and show a little bit of restraint. Bloodying them up and having the instructor segregating you is a pretty clear sign you aren't. Essentially, you're exploiting their trust. In fact, if i were you... i would feel somewhat embarrassed at having to be segregated in such a fashion.

As to the topic at hand, sparring has its place, but it is not necessarily realistic. Sparring teaches people to essentially 'take turns' hitting each other. In san soo, and in a few other systems i've studied, we don't spar. We just go right at it and take out the opponent. In practice, we simulate this, but... of course, show restraint and consideration for the other person who, btw, is indicating a significant degree of trust in allowing me to practice my techniques on them in the first place.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 1 month later...

if you want to spare hardcore try olympic style with no breaks thats my favorite way to fight but if you just want the experience then just fight point sparring

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe