• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's you're opinon on sparring?

I think sparring is necessary for developing the ability to practice skills in a realistic manner (as opposed to repititions of kicks and punches on a bag), and i think that light contact is good for learning control, but i also think that it's good to learn to take a hit.

But, what annoys me is that the dojo I am now going to makes you wear silly padding on your feet, and some other junk, and i get the impression that you shouldn't hit hard while sparring............ ever.

I think it's good to be careful, but people are too worried about getting sued, and they don't ever let you hit hard enough to learn to take a beating.

what do y'all think

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

liability sucks... but in a lot of places, a fact of life.

sorry.

i'm sure you can find a group of people who will mutually agree to take beatings from each other. until one takes too much a beating and sues.

sorry.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

liability sucks... but in a lot of places, a fact of life.

sorry.

i'm sure you can find a group of people who will mutually agree to take beatings from each other. until one takes too much a beating and sues.

sorry.

I agree, liability is a fact of life in many places. However, i wasn't meaning i wanted a place where i could beat up and get beat up, i think that if people have enough skill, they should be able to hit each other, at least to some degree. I do not want to get hurt or hurt anyone, but would like a little more......... reality sparring i guess, so the skills i learn will be more usefull.

At the dojo i used to go to we sparred alot, and usually without body armor, but they let people spar who had no control, and solved the injury problem by not hitting each other at all.

Then we would have high ranks who would always throw techniques from far away and not really try to land them, meaning that you didn't really have to block because you knew it wouldn't hit you anyway. Also it made me wonder if the person could hit someone. It was hard to know, because they never had to.

I think it's good to be careful, but people are too worried about getting sued, and they don't ever let you hit hard enough to learn to take a beating.

Some people who take a martial art, aren't necessarily interested in learning how to take a beating. Don't some dojo's have you sign a waver, stating that injuries Will happen and the school can not be held liable for such occurances? I'm not sure how the legal stuff works out, I just remember that my mom had to sign a waver stating something like that. Therefore, I don't think you can sue if someone accidently bruises you. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

i'm sure you can find a group of people who will mutually agree to take beatings from each other.

Yeah, that's what I do.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Go to a boxing or kickboxing school, they shouldn't have a problem beating you up a little ;)

You will need different gear though, that foam stuff is kinda useless for protecting the other guy. All those silly boats to is keep your insteps in tact, which you really shouldn't be kicking with anyways...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I already thought of that (I have the same problem, except that I have it worse because no one challenges me anymore). However, I can't find a kickboxing club within a hundred miles (People in my part of the state are simply wimps). Maybe this chap can't find one either. Still, I'd recommend that he make the best of his situation - train hard, train often, and look for good tournaments.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

In my dojo, we spar sometimes with pads, sometimes without. What I've learned so far is that being able to control yourself in a sparring situation is more important than hitting someone. You should be able to control how close you come to someone. Black belts, for example, should be able to execute a move and come within an inch, or ideally touch the uniform of, their opponent. When I spar with people, especially black belts, who hit you anyway, I lose respect for them, because they demonstrate no self-control.

Not to say I don't get bruises from blocking,etc. But practicing the proper moves and being being able to get a clealy defined hit and on top of that getting as close as you can without touching them is difficult.

And believe me, we go at our studio.