• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first karate competition!

angelica d

Last week my fiance (and assistant instructor) told me he was entering the Yorkshire Karate Championships, and he asked if I wanted to have a go in the kyu grade competition. To be honest I wasn't very keen as I hadn't prepared at all and had never done anything like it before. I said yes in the end (despite being ready to drop out of it the night before) and we both went along to it yesterday.

It wasn't a huge competition but I was soo nervous I actually couldn't feel my legs! I found out I was competing against people quite a few grades higher than me, and that didn't help my nerves. Still, I did my kata and in my complete and utter amazement, I came first!!! I can't even remember doing my kata though - my fiance showed me the video and we had a bit of a laugh afterwards. In his competition, he came third (by 0.2 points, and there were alot of good katas in his section) so we're both really pleased!

Did any of the Yorkshire people go to the event? Just wanted to share my experience with you all, I'm still over the moon! :D :D :D

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations ... It's nice to win at the first contest. Now you've got to keep it going so you win some more.

My first competition for me was the same, I was so freaked out but quite convincing in front of the judges. It's a won battle ... the war is stil raging on ... but you've won the first round ... and that was against yourself, not the others.

Enjoy your victory ... you deserve it. :karate:

Congratulations on wining! Well done to you and also to your bf for coming 3rd.

I was going to go to that comp, but unfortunately I couldn't. :(

What kata did you do?

Good luck for future competitions! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks guys! I did heian sandan ... was torn between that and some of the others because I really hate those double blocks at the beginning. But I love the three mikazuki geris and am good at them so thats why I did it. Am relieved its over though, I was really stressing and worrying I was going to forget my kata or fall over! Now I've got a grading to worry about - and I've just got a horrible blister on my heel cos I walked a long way in some stupid boots (I was asking for it really. I really really hope it goes by sunday!

Pity you couldn't make it aefibird - there's another one in the summer and some more in october I think so maybe see you then?

There were some funny incidents on the day - we watched the kiddie sectiion first of all and one of the boys had a really piercing, loud and very long kiai - like, HEEYAAAAAAAAAAAA! And whenever he did it, some tiny kids in the sparring comp on the other side of the hall copied him! I felt sorry for the guy, but it was soooo funny! :lol:

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

That's awesome!! Congratulations! I did my first tournement last 2 weekands ago... so yeah, I understand being all nervous and stuff. Are you hooked now? Do you want to do more? I know I am... I have tournement fever now :)

But glad you had a great time! Bonus that you came in first.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Congratulations, especially on Heian Sandan, which in my opinion is a very hard kata to do! This hopefully will give you the self confidence for upcoming tournaments and competitions, keep it up!

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

cheers everyone, even now I still can't believe it! Yeah, it's done wonders for my confidence, and I'm hooked too! :karate:

- Homer J Simpson

Almost 2 years ago I've won a Kata competition with heian Sandan, too.

I like the kata and I performed very well.

About nervousness. I had an exam last week and I was so nervous my mouth was DRY and there was no way I could rehidrate it. I almost suffocated from these nerves ... but I eventually did OK. Though I was as white as my gi. The spectators were sure I would faint. Luckilly ... I didn't, but it was quite difficult.