• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone out there who also gets no sparing?

WhiteLion

We do sparring, but about once or twice a month. Which is OK with me. I really don't like the rules (TKD rules). But grappling, we do way more (hardly any rules). Standing or ground grappling is fun :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In World Oyama Karate, like it's Kyokushin brothers, we spar from the frist day in the dojo.

If you don't feel like sparring or you are injured, there is no problem, you can sit out.

If we injure our legs or toes and can't kick, we spar with punches only.

The point being, we spar EVERY lesson.

Sparring and two man drills are essential in Karate in my opinion.

Without them you may as well study Tai Chi.

Karate is a fighting art, remember.

Osu!

ET

sorry i belive they do i feel they introduce timing body movement, stretch, strengh not to mention disapline i think you need them all as they compliment each other

There is no timing in a patterened excercise

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

At my dojo we generally practice Kumite every 3 weeks or so. When you look at the history and traditions of Karate there are three components that are a part of all styles generally.

These are Techniques, Kata and Kumite. It is just that some styles will place more emphasis on one component more than the others. E.g Kyokushin places a high importance on full contact sparring.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

sorry i belive they do i feel they introduce timing body movement, stretch, strengh not to mention disapline i think you need them all as they compliment each other

There is no timing in a patterened excercise

can i ask you tell explain how there is no timing learnt

theres no one style just your style---------

When I went to my Karate club I was wearing my normal cloth jeans shirt etc, the fisrt lesson was tough I kind of hungry for more so i bought my first Gi, they like split the classes into three normally on the far right is the highest grade in the middle is the middle greders and on the lift its me with few beginners doing katas or games until five more lesson we get to sparrd like touching, until twenty lesoon we get to sparrd properly and when over seventy lesson we beat each other harder then before.

WhiteLion, which wado organization does your school belong to? It has been my experience that most Wado schools place a large emphasis on partner work and kumite. Also what kyu are you?

I also second the opinion that sparing can be harmfull to an extreme beginners development. Even most boxing/kickboxing trainers i've met don't let newbies spar until they've proven they have some grasp of the basic techniques and how to protect themselves, and even then it's usually carefully controlled sparring with more experienced students until they develop more. But i do believe partner work is extremely valuable to help newbies develop and learn timing and distance.

At my dojo we generally have classes mon-thurs and on saturday. We usually work kihon and kata on monday and tuesday and on wednesday and thursday we work kumite, self-defence, and jiujitsu concepts. Then on saturday we usually have 2 classes for the begining and intermediate students one kata/kihon and a later kumite class sometimes the classes are put together or the kumite class canceled depending on participation (no one likes to get up early on saturday morning) and because right now most of us who are brown and black belts are training for some upcoming tournaments on saturday mornings.

can i ask you tell explain how there is no timing learnt

Let's say I want to learn to hit a baseball.

Would standing there swinging the bat at the air help in my timing?

Timing requires something to hit, Without a ball flying over the plate there is none.

All you are doing is swinging at air. Someone might be able to help clean up your swing, but until you're hitting at a ball timing is not involved.

Marital arts is no different.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

im sorry i dis-agree and without asking i think 90% of Martial Artists would too are we all missing the point here or is everthing we practice without hitting somthing a waste of time like lets say

shadow boxing

form moves

bo kata

weapons training (do we need to kill to see if it works)

khion

need i carry on

i believe in muscle memory keep doing somthing enough times and it all helps you dont need to hit somthing to know if it hurts

theres no one style just your style---------