• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone out there who also gets no sparing?

WhiteLion

:( Sadly at my dojo we don't get sparing though we have tried to convence our sensie we are ready but he continues to aviod the matter.

Anyone else out there with the same problem or dose anyone have a sujestion on what to do?

Just like the phoenix I shall rise from the ashes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Sadly at my dojo we don't get sparing though we have tried to convence our sensie we are ready but he continues to aviod the matter.

Might it be that he is a better judge of when you will be ready than you are?

Anyone else out there with the same problem or dose anyone have a sujestion on what to do?

My suggestion is that you concentrate on training and learning proper technique.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Well its a very small dojo but weve had a increase in members like 1-2 every week now and i think it's because of to many new people joining that might be the problem.The people who have been there longer or the same time as me are quite good with kata's and work well on technique and I feel that we need sparing to further understand our technique and find out what where confortable with.

Just like the phoenix I shall rise from the ashes.

it depends on why you are in the school.... if you are there for fun and fitness its fine.. but if you want to learn some combative skills some form of freestyle practice is a must...

Interesting, considering that free-sparring has little relation to actual self defence. I think free sparring at an early stage can actually decrease one's ability in a self-defence encounter, due to an over-reliance on high kicks and tournament technique.

Interesting, considering that free-sparring has little relation to actual self defence. I think free sparring at an early stage can actually decrease one's ability in a self-defence encounter, due to an over-reliance on high kicks and tournament technique.

I have to disagree. Free style sparring can have a great affect on your karate in a positive way. In sparring and in other training you begin to understand your bodies mechanics and what might work well in actual combat. You can't expect to fight someone like your sparring them. but sparring helps your timing, reactiom time and body conditioning. It's a must if you plan on competeing in knockdown competitions or just self defense. I think getting introduced to sparring when your a beginner is great, the sooner the better.

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

I have to disagree. Free style sparring can have a great affect on your karate in a positive way. In sparring and in other training you begin to understand your bodies mechanics and what might work well in actual combat. You can't expect to fight someone like your sparring them. but sparring helps your timing, reactiom time and body conditioning. It's a must if you plan on competeing in knockdown competitions or just self defense. I think getting introduced to sparring when your a beginner is great, the sooner the better.

I disagree. Few attackers will ever take a kamae and wait for someone to yell "hajime." Most attacks are surprise attacks from behind, often with multiple attackers, and often with weapons. The benefit of sparring is in learning that geting hit is not the end of the world, and in learning how long your own legs and arms are. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy kumite, but I recognize it is a game.