• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most amazing Karate-ka

Eiichi

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on who they think is the best living Karate-ka in the world today. I'm talking about training with the person and being in total awe of thier karate. In my opinion i'd have to say Morio Higaonna. :D

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I admire different people's karate for different reasons.

Some people I admire for their amazing intensity, they look as if they really are trying to kill someone with their every move. Other people just move with such an effortless, yet powerful grace...

I admire some athletic tournament fighters who are just so friggin fast, but I have equal admiration for a tough as nails guy in his 50s who has worked as a cop or Marine.

Other people, with a staff or a sword are so damn fluid that it just makes you want to stay up all night practicing.

Some people do things so incredibly different that it makes me sit back and wonder about what I'm doing. Others perform it exactly the way I strive to.

I've shared the floor with some famous men and women and some not-so-famous men and women who could be legends in their own right. There are plenty of people out there practicing out in the middle of nowhere, who never write a book, get a tv show, make the cover of BB, get inducted in a hall of fame, etc who make amazing contributions everyday.

So, I guess I'm saying that I can't name one.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Personally, I feel the most amazing karateka in the world today is a little girl I know. Now, her karate isn't particularly brilliant - she will never become a world champion and will never have endless magazine articles written about her. However, she is a total inspiration to me as she was born with one 'good' arm and one arm that ends at the elbow. To watch her train and give her best constantly, time after time after time is a very humbling experience to me. Martial Artists often complain that they can't get a particular technique right and get frustrated and angry with themselves and others. With her karate, Brodie is utterly determined to give it her best and to try and overcome her disability in the best way possible.

As for other karateka that I admire and am in awe of my sensei tops the list! I also admire the head of my organization, Sensei Aidan Trimble. If I ever get to be even half as good as he is then I will have surpassed all my expectations!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

For me, it is Sensei Andy Sherry 8th Dan of the KUGB. To me, he is shotokan karate and it is he who put me on my deeper path to discovery. I have marvelled at him for so many years now and whenever he is in the same dojo as me, everything is right and balanced.

As Dr Evil would say to his Mini Me : "He completes me!"

:)