• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't ask what karate can do for you....................

Tigerspirit

I think the common theme here is that most Karateka, at least on this site have found a more profound reason for training then just the self-defence/fitness aspect. I have recently taken a deep interest in the origins of Karate, and the different styles eg Okinawan vs Japanese. Karate is always on my mind, and it really has become a passion.

IS THIS NORMAL?????

Well, even if it isn't normal we can be two freaks together :P, because Karate (and all Martial Arts in general) have become a passion for me too.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's clear that you should not abandon or neglect other things in your life while studying the arts. If you do, then there's an underlying problem going on, and it's not the arts. Just as in discussion boards and video games, too much is often a sign of a problem and such routes take the form of escapism.

That said, there's a future in most everything you do in life, but not always a financial one. The martial arts helps to build character and develop confidence. It also may, one day, save your life. Things far more important in the 'real world' than studying courses on topics you'll only end up discussing in parties... as trivia.

People venture in to the arts for different reasons, but... generally... end up having the same or similar returns.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

dont ask me why its just somthing thats in there when i started at an early age it was the idea of looking after yourself earning a little respect now nearly 30yrs later its the deepness and technical side i love i could train another 30yrs and still not get 5% to feel just right its a truly great challenge

theres no one style just your style---------

Well, even if it isn't normal we can be two freaks together , because Karate (and all Martial Arts in general) have become a passion for me too.

Hail fellow karate freak. I've been a MA nut for as long as I can remember. I was first introduced to it as a five year old and was quite passionate about it then. Then we moved sixteen times around the globe until we settled down here and I discovered American Karate (at early 16). I've grown to love it, and am quite athletic thanks to it. However, sparring partners is a problem, as I can't get people to challenge me enough.

Fortunately, there's another kid who's 19 who feels almost the same way I do. He lives a ways, but whenever we do get the chance to spar - it's a great challenge for the both of us.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."