• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing shoes for martial arts

Do you wear shoes in Martial Arts?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear shoes in Martial Arts?

• Yes, always
    • Yes, but not for sparring
    • No, but thinking of
    • No, never

Dont most traditional kung fu styles wear shoes or some type of slipper?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If u think about it though, if ur ever attacked, say on the street then ur gonna be wearing shoes, so u might as well get used to it.

Exactly! I make a point to practice at home in my normal clothes. I wear my every day jeans, my t shirt, and a normal bra and hair-do, and of course, my regular shoes. I only buy pants that I can kick in (ie. stretch jeans) for that 'just in case' kinda thing. My neighbor think I'm weird when I go up and down my driveway kicking and punching, but they can bite me :P I think it's a good idea for anyone to practice in their normal clothes and shoes. However, if I'm ever caught wearing high heels, I better get used to slipping them off fast and feeling some gross, dirty concrete under my feet. ick.

A high heel in the "junk", I can imagine feels anything but pleasurable.

Yeah, I would reckon so, but at the same time, can you balance well enough to kick while standing atop some stilettos? I can hardly walk straight, let alone get all karate on your booty. I think perhaps removing the shoe and then using it as a weapon may be better. I'll stab you in the eye with my heel, ha!

There were a few times in the winter months that I would do some TKD kicking with my heavy boots on. That was gambling with my joints so I stopped after I thought about it. It wasn't too bad - momentum kept the feet pretty fast despite the extra weight.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

a good pair of combat boots is like an instant black belt :)

i dunno that i'd try a jump 360 roundhouse, but those front kicks and side kicks turn nasty quick.

I'll stab you in the eye with my heel, ha!

OOH! Have you ever seen the movie Single White Female? :D

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Here here - but then again, you're talking to the cheapskate here.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I've seen about 6 ppl wearing them at my gym, I had a look and there really light, like a feather and the pivot point is excellent. I'm not really bothered bout price to much, i wont just wear em 4 karate.