• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

waht the diffrence

blaze78_9

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GoJu Ryu is an Okinawan system. It means "hard/soft". This is often a little misunderstood.....Its actually the art of being hard and soft at the same time. All karate comes from Okinawa, and the Okinawan forms descend from Chinese systems of Kung Fu.....Goju descends mainly from white crane kung fu....Being that Okinawa was so close to China, many of the Okinawan Masters trained in China. This brief history is how Goju evolved.....Kanro Higashionna traveled from Naha, Okinawa to Fukien province in China....there, he studied with ru ru ko....when Kanro returned to Okinawa, he created a system known only as Naha-Te, or ...the hand of Naha.....one of his students was Chojun Miyagi, who created Goju Ryu....similarly, other systems began to evolve in Okinawa.....The Kanji for Kara-te mean "empty hand".....Originally, before the Japanese occupation of Okinawa, the Kanji actually mean "china hand"....but due to politics, and a general distaste for anything chinese, the Japanese changed the meaning of the Kanji.....From Okinawa, karate traveled to Japan, Hawaii, and then mainland USA......Okinawan Goju is really one of the very first systems of karate, and is considered to be an extremely thourough art, considering it has all the elements of a "stand up punch and kick" system, as well as in close grappling, shaolin chin na (seizing and grabbing), and a tremendous amount of internal art known as Chi Gung......hope this helps you for now.....please ask more, and Ill help in any way I can.

~Jules

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• 4 weeks later...

erm yes he^ has pretty much covered everything but i think that shotokan karate is more solid and blocky and goju is more freestyle kind of

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

It all really depends 'what floats your boat'. There's no real "correct" style to train in, just whatever works best for you. I love Shotokan and I'd have to have to give it up, but I know there's people on this forum who wouldn't touch it with a bargepole (although, some of the doubters of Shotokan haven't actually tried it and are just basing their judgements on untrue stereotypes! ;)) All I'm saying is, though, that the 'stockiness' of one style works for some people but nor for others.

Not that I'm getting at you Jiyn, 'cos I'm not (I just re-read what I put and it sounded like I was getting at you for what you wrote - believe me I'm not). I just thought I'd take the opportunity to point out that there's no 'right' or 'wrong' style.

Erm, I'll shut up now! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Goju and Shotokan are the solid systems of Karate, stemming from Naha-te and Shuri-te styles of Karate, respectively (someone correct me if I am mistaken). Shito Ryu is a combination of two styles since the founder, Kenwa Mabuni, was taught by two instructors...Itosu and Higoanna. Also, Mabuni went to China and learned some White Crane Katas from a tea vendor (or so goes the story). Out of the four major styles, Wado Ryu comprising the 4th, Shito Ryu has the most Kata, almost 50 officialy and more than 60 in practice. Shito Ryu is softer than Shotokan but lower in stances than Goju Ryu. Since of the variety of Kata, the blocks and techniques can seem to have a more Chinese flair but focus on deflection and movement rather than full on stoppage of an opponent's technique. Shito Ryu has branched off over the years but still the core element still exists. For more information on the styles, https://www.karatebc.org has a full history on Karate.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)