• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Korean art I've done is Taekwondo. :cry:

But when you say "overall" I can honestly say although Taekwondo doesn't contain all elements which are needed to be a "complete" martial artist. However It is a very open minded martial art and one which allows you to incorporate other styles very easily.

IMO a good base martial art but not the best martial art.

JLee,

One art is generally "no better then the other"...again personal fealings aside...it would be very hard if not impossible to state which art (any art) is better than another.

Each person has his own needs...are you just wanting to learn to defend yourself, are you going into security/personal protection work, do you want to compete in King of the Cage, ect.

Aikido offers great balance breaking, energy redirection techniques, throws, takedowns, ect., were as Hapkido teaches great hand strikes, kicks, throws, takedowns, and controls!

Which is better? The one that will stimulate you most to educate your self in the combat arts!

We will continue to give you answers to your questions however possible...ultimately you must decide what you want and where best to receive it!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

P.S. I studied many arts in order to find my needs (I determined I NEED to train in the combat arts!)

Taekwon-Do (Oh Do Kwan)

Judo (Kodokan)

Muay Thai

Wado-Ryu

I decided what best worked for me!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

I would say for the most complete art, hapkido. It has throws, kicks, strikes, grappling, locks, weapons (as well as improvised weapons). Its got abit of everything.

Here is a quote from a good source that should answer a few questions:

"Hapkido is a Korean martial art, and combines techniques from Karate, Aikido and Judo. It also draws influence from other native Korean martial arts. Characteristic for Hapkido are the wrist locks and throws that can look quite spectacular. Hapkido uniforms are available in white and black and have a characteristic diamond pattern.

Developed in the 1940s and 50s, its founder Grandmaster Choi had learned martial arts first in Japan, in a school of Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, an ancient form of Jujutsu that was practiced mostly by Samurai.

On Choi's return to Korea, he added many techniques to defend against particular types of attacks, and borrowed heavily from other styles. The name of what is known as Hapkido today changed several times, and famous students of Choi such as Ji Han Jae continued to develop the art and were instrumental in bringing Hapkido to the west, where it was taught to FBI and other US government agencies.

During this time Ji Han Jae met Bruce Lee, who was very impressed with the techniques of Hapkido. Ji Han Jae coached Bruce Lee, who then went on and incorporated certain aspects of Hapkido into the development of his own emerging style, Jeet Kune Do."

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I know i'm gonna get stonned for saying this, but I think that Hapkido does overtake Aikido for self defence.

Hapkido is a combination of many styles to create a "complete style". It has borrowed techniques from aikido, but has left some behind that were not effective in terms of self defence, or where other techniques could be used in the same situation but with better efficentcy. The process of createing Hapkido is similar to Jeet Kune do, where technques were borrwoed from other arts, to create the "Ultimate art", if this was achieved, I dont know. Jeet Kune do has gone a step further and filtered aout even more techniques from many styles in which hapkido is included, which was supposed to be a "complete art".

Aikido offers great balance breaking, energy redirection techniques, throws, takedowns, ect., were as Hapkido teaches great hand strikes, kicks, throws, takedowns, and controls!

Which is better? The one that will stimulate you most to educate your self in the combat arts!

Spooky has a very vaild point,

It really does depend on what you like and what you are good at. If u hate kicking then TKD isnt gonna be a good choice, if you hate punching then boxing isnt gonna be a good choice, if u hate grappling then BJJ isnt gonna be a good choice etc. One person might be able to defend them self better with somthing else, and vice versa. It also depends on what u want from ur martial art. Aikido is about stopping your opponent but with minimal effort and no permant damage to ur opponent. U look at karate and its about stopping ur opponent for good, real okinwana karate makes sure that ur opponent never gets up again. But is that good in 2days world? or is that what u want? Aikido and hapkido do not need much physically strength, because they rely on focusing ur energy in the direction of ur opponents movement, most of the time in other arts its about going agaisnt ur opponents movement which obviously requires more energy.

Try this website, there is almost any martial art u could think of on there, have a look at what there is and decide whats best for you.

If u want pure self defence I would suggest looking at:

Jeet Kune do

Hapkido

Krav maga

Wing Chun Kung fu

http://www.martial-arts-info.com/

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 4 weeks later...
sorry about my "newbi(ness)" i live in duluth(gwinnett county) and im not exactly sure where ellenwood is, anyways there is this Choi kwan do(sp?) place nearby, and there are so much taekwondo places that its not even funny, im looking for a good judo or hapkido place closeby, and im going to take boxing everyweek so i could get into better shape and work out my arms and biceps.

Judo is more sport, less defense these days.

Do you live by Gwinett mall? There is a place called "Francis Fong's Martial Arts Academy" - Francis Fong is amazing. He travels around the world giving seminars, so his other instructors are there most of the time. But he teaches classes once or twice a week. Francis has trained with Bruce Lee, Dan Inosanto, Royce Gracie...all the greats. They teach Wing Chun Kung fu, Muy Thai, Kali, BJJ, and JKD. Its pretty expensive, but its a good school.

If you want a Taekwondo school and you are near Suwannee/downtown duluth, Karate USA Taekwondo is a great school - i'm the chief instructor there and you can stop by to ask questions any time. Its the corner of Mcginnis Ferry and 141.

I would say for the most complete art, hapkido. It has throws, kicks, strikes, grappling, locks, weapons (as well as improvised weapons). Its got abit of everything.

Here is a quote from a good source that should answer a few questions:

"Hapkido is a Korean martial art, and combines techniques from Karate, Aikido and Judo. It also draws influence from other native Korean martial arts. Characteristic for Hapkido are the wrist locks and throws that can look quite spectacular. Hapkido uniforms are available in white and black and have a characteristic diamond pattern.

Developed in the 1940s and 50s, its founder Grandmaster Choi had learned martial arts first in Japan, in a school of Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, an ancient form of Jujutsu that was practiced mostly by Samurai.

On Choi's return to Korea, he added many techniques to defend against particular types of attacks, and borrowed heavily from other styles. The name of what is known as Hapkido today changed several times, and famous students of Choi such as Ji Han Jae continued to develop the art and were instrumental in bringing Hapkido to the west, where it was taught to FBI and other US government agencies.

During this time Ji Han Jae met Bruce Lee, who was very impressed with the techniques of Hapkido. Ji Han Jae coached Bruce Lee, who then went on and incorporated certain aspects of Hapkido into the development of his own emerging style, Jeet Kune Do."