• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

overall best korean martial art

:cry: You guys...make me...ssooo proud!! :cry:

Thank you for helping JLee understand the way the forum works (and why) with our "which style is best" rules. I'm extremely, extremely impressed that you guys took the initiative to redirect the thread, instead of capitalizing on an opportunity to toot your styles' respective horns.

JLee: being a "newbie" is nothing to be ashamed of, we're pretty understanding and willing to help, as you can see. :) To better understand how the forum works, check out these guidelines:

User Guidelines

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9512

Photo Album User Guidelines

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9509

Comparative Styles Guidelines

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9511

(don't worry, they're not as long and intimidating as you might think) Once you've done that, try hopping over to the Introductions forum, so we can get to know you a little better.

As I mentioned before, we have specific rules against asking "which style is best" (which you can find in the Comparative Styles Guidelines link I posted above), simply because it leads to argumentative threads which are far from constructive. It's practically impossible to prove that one style is better than another, so it's something we try to stay away from. Instead (and you can do it in this thread), try to ask questions that help you find out more about different Korean styles, so you can pick the style that best fits your personal interests. For example: if you expressed an interest in upper-body strength, you could ask which styles focus on punching and throw techniques, instead of focusing heavily on kicks.

Okay, now that I've bogged you down with information, let me take this moment to welcome you to the community that so many members have come to enjoy. :wave:

Continue with the thread, and happy posting! :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jlee, unfortunately, I have no idea where you are, so I have no idea if you're close to Ellenwood or not :) I think it is close to Columbus, GA, but that's all I know.

Look around at your local Y and see if they offer classes. A lot of good schools don't advertise much, and you won't find them in the yellow pages or in retail areas.

Look at local colleges and see if they have rec clubs as well. College kids are a blast to train with!

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

i live 20 mins north of atlanta. sorry to be such an *, but does anyone know any places that i could d/l like video clips of different styles of martial arts used? and i cant go around different places and look myself b/c i dont have a car..

JLee,

Firstly welcome to the forums :wave:

When selecting an Martial Art or Martial Sport, you really need to make a list of what you want to achieve, inasmuch as short (1-3 yrs), medium (3-15 yrs) and long term (15+ yrs) goals.

Once you have a list of what you want to achieve we may be able to offer some advice.

You would be ill advised to base your decision purely on watching a few videos. Even though a club is affiliated with an association / federation it doesn't necessarily mean that what you see in a promotional video is what you are going to be taught. It depends on the level of experience, teaching skills and support the instructor has.

We can only advise, each one of us has our own reasons for being a part of a particular Martial Art/Sport. Two students from the same club wont always give you the same answer when asked questions about the their art. Its an individual journey. Do the research and go look for yourself, find a Martial Art (and it doesn't have to be Korean) that suits your needs best.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

i live 20 mins north of atlanta. sorry to be such an *, but does anyone know any places that i could d/l like video clips of different styles of martial arts used? and i cant go around different places and look myself b/c i dont have a car..

If you'd like to view katas, Master Mac's website has ITF and WTF TKD, Tang Soo Do, and, I think, some Hapkido videos. Here's the website:

http://mchenry.homeip.net/TangSooDo/forms/index.htm

^ thanks for the website,there is this place 10 mins from my house that teaches 7 diff. kinds of martial arts including Mauy Tai(sp?) BJJ, Jeet Kune Do and 5 others..the guy "supposedly" taught Bruce Lee for a while..im going to go check it out this weekend. sorry to get of subject and all, this is a stupid question but if a person who takes Muay Thai and a person who take BJJ gets in a fight or sparr who is most likely to win?

^ thanks for the website,there is this place 10 mins from my house that teaches 7 diff. kinds of martial arts including Mauy Tai(sp?) BJJ, Jeet Kune Do and 5 others..the guy "supposedly" taught Bruce Lee for a while..

All those styles under one roof and the claim of having taught Bruce Lee sends up one huge red warning flag to me. The person may be legitimate, but I would be very wary.

if a person who takes Muay Thai and a person who take BJJ gets in a fight or sparr who is most likely to win?

I do not think that question has an answer, as there are too many variables. Does the MT fighter land a knockout before the BJJ fighter gets him on the ground?

There was a boxer, I think it was Joe Lewis, that was asked what would happen if he fought a judoka... He said something like... If I punch him first I win, if he throws me first, he wins. That is not the exact quote.

i was expecting an answer like that, lol..i dont know..if a MT fighter misses a kick the BJJ guy could easily get him down to the ground while the MT fighters leg is in the air..well im not sure..ill go see which one suits my needs

Dear All,

If the school you are refering to is near PleasantHill (3-4 exits north of Jimmy Carter Blvd.) it is probably the Institute of the Fighting Arts (Sifu Francis Wong)...to be honest, you should approach with a humble mindset, or be prepared to go home with one!

Also, JLee, there are many good Dojangs in your area. Choi Do Kwan on JC Blvd., Kim's TKD (I cant think of the street name), and Francis Wong's Institute of the fighting arts.

I am from Norcross now living in Alabama! I will contact a few friends in the area...If you will email me, I will direct you to some good starting points!

Also, please let me know what interests you have specifically, as this will assist me in my thinking!

Oh Do Kwan!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!