• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

overall best korean martial art

well the subject is kind of self explanitory, im looking into getting back in shape because my track season is almost over and so is the school year, whats the best korean martial art that helps self-defense,getting in shape,flexibility and building muscle?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JLee, Tommarker is referring to something that has little to do with you. People have opinions, but when you ask them which system is best, or better, you're going to get posturing and attitudes bouncing off each other. Everyone has an opinion of what they do and usually it is placed in the context of making derogatory comments about those systems they don't do, and of which they have little information on. So... your question is likely not going to get you the results you want.

I suggest, instead, figuring out what you want, and then asking what systems cover those things you are looking for. Either that, or ask what is incorporated in the various systems presently available.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

What I would like to know is this. What is available in your area? Do you specifically want to do a Korean system, or is that all that's available? My suggestion is to go and watch whatever you have in your area and see what looks like something you'd like to try. Every instructor will tell you that what they are doing is the best, so don't listen to that. Also, don't be impressed by lots of trophies on the walls, unless you'd like to learn a competition based system. That usually, in my experience, doesn't mean they can handle themselves in a real fight. Also, if it looks like the class is top heavy with black belts, then it could be a belt factory.

Just some suggestions.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Jlee,

I know a guy in GA who is very good but he is in Ellenwood. I have no idea if that is close to you or not. If he is, I would recommend trying his school out.

If you are nearby, let me know..

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

sorry about my "newbi(ness)" i live in duluth(gwinnett county) and im not exactly sure where ellenwood is, anyways there is this Choi kwan do(sp?) place nearby, and there are so much taekwondo places that its not even funny, im looking for a good judo or hapkido place closeby, and im going to take boxing everyweek so i could get into better shape and work out my arms and biceps.

It sounds like you're in, or close, to a large city, so there should be TONS of places available. Yes, taekwondo and other Korean arts are very prevelant out there, so I think I'd recommend shopping around, watching a whole bunch of classes, and get a feel for what it is that you are looking for from a martial art. Like I said, don't really be swayed by trophies on the wall, or the number of black belts in the class. Those really give little indication of the quality of the instructor or the system.

Go with your gut feeling. Also, I would try to avoid any lengthy contracts until you are sure that the school and system are what you really want. Maybe a 3 month contract at most. That should give you a good idea by then whether that system, and instructor, are what you want.

Price compare! The more money they want for instruction DOES NOT necessarily translate into better training and learning. Myself, I don't need a fancy health club-type dojo with a juice bar and free weights. You are paying for all of those, so if you don't plan on using them, then why pay for them?

I hope this helps. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Come to think of it, the only korean style I know is TKD, what r the others called?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I'll let the Korean stylists out there answer that one since I'm an Okinawan stylist myself, but there are a bunch, just like "karate". In TKD alone, there are many different branches and organizations. Similar to each other, but different also.

So, with that said..take it away my Korean stylist brother's and sisters! Educate this poor Newbie! lol :karate: