• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Do you wear your Gi?

Ti

Size 5 may be a bit ling for 5'8". I'm 5'10" and wear a 5. Also, you might have gotten a 'tournament cut' they tend to be longer. Wash it in hot water, it'll shrink. Try it on wet. If it fits, hang to dry. If it's still too long, put in dryer. That's the reason I'd never order a gi over the internet, unless it was of the same brand I'm currently wearing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, if you're happy with the length of your gi, the better. Personally I always prefer a gi to be long in the jacket, but that's just my own preference. You 've gotta wear a gi for your own personal comfort - if you spend most of the lesson fidgiting about in your gi then you're not going to be fully concentrating on the techniques.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think they should change the name of (tournament cut) to (Okinawan cut). The Okinawans invented the gi along with shorter sleeves and pants due to the heat and humidity in Okinawa. Let me rephrase that. The tournament cut should be called (traditional cut) and traditional cut should be called (japanese cut).

"The true essence of karate, the perfection or ideal for which we strive, cannot be expressed or passed on through the spoken or written word. It is intangible in nature"

Chojun Miyagi

I'm about 5'8" and and between 190lbs to 170lbs depending on on the time of year, i wear a 6.5 but i'm pretty stocky and have a thick chest and legs. I also like the jacket to be long and i find that my gi tend to shrink a lot so i wash mine in hot water and dry them many times and then when they stop shrinking i get the arms and legs hemmed.

Eiichi actually the gi was invented by the japanese for use in judo. Funakoshi adopted it for use in karate.

Hard to believe that original Okinawan Karateka wore Kimino's before the Gi was used.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).