• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Do you wear your Gi?

Ti

I just ordered a Kamikaze American size 5.

According to the site it is supposed to fit 5'8 which I am.

Dang thing almost hits my knees.

Will I look like a doofus with a gi this long or is this nothing new?

How do you guys wear your Gi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some JMA schools wear them like this, and the legs were almost up to the knees. How does the rest of the class wear theirs? I'd go with that, or ask your instructor.

Freedom isn't free!

Too late gotta make the best of it.

I think and I suppose the other members wear it this low.

Currently trying to shrink it.

I hand washed it in hot water and just threw it into the dryer.

Hope it works.

I have never had much luck trying to shrink things.

I'm 5'5 and a half. I am also big through the shoulders and chest, and therefore wear a size six. Therefore, I have new gis tailored.

As for the length of the tail of the jacket being halfway to your knees, so what? Will it interfere with your techniques? I prefer the jacket to reach at least to mid thight. In addition, most traditional schools require the sleeve to reach no farther than mid forearm, pant legs to just above the ankle (for freedom of movement) and the jacket should cross between the bottom of teh sternal notch and the xiphoid (for modesty). I really don't understand the reason for having pant legs drag on the ground, which seems popular with some McDojos in the US.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I have never had much luck trying to shrink things.

If it is cotton, it will shrink.

A blend, it won't shrink much.

Synthetic, probably not at all.

I'm 5' 8", and I wear size 5. But different companies might size just a little different.

Freedom isn't free!

I like my pants to just touch the top of my feet. The jacket, I like the arms to reach my wrist, not my hands (so it doesn't get in the way of hand techniques). Otherwise, I like my uniforms a bit big (wide) for grappling and throws.

There's ways to "cheat" to make it smaller (besides shrinking it). My mid weight one, the pants are a bit long. I roll the pants up (at the waist). The top fits (I wear size 4).

But if it is really too big, you should have it tailored.

Laurie F

I have no problems shrinking anything. Go to the local laundy and use one of the industrial machines on the HOT water cycle its usually hotter that the water at home the same with the industrial dryers. :)

I generally get a size 6 even though I take a 5(Im 5'6") Im long armed and wide shouldered. (I have the reach of someone a foot taller than me :brow: )

Am I the missing link??????

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.