• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Return to training

Pyran

I've just returned to training Shotokan after a 14 year forced absence due to a serious motocyle accident.

I don't remember being this sore although i didn't suffer from arthritis back then. My Sensei has deemed my level wil be white belt untill i regain the standards of my rank. The really cool part is that i forgot how to turn around at the start of class but it all slowly came back to me by the end of class.

My question is does anyone know of a site with the current kata's for JKA Shotokan because my memory of them is a little different to what was practised last night.

Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japan Karate Association of Australia.

This is Australia's branch of Japan Karate Association founded by Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi in 1948. The current Shihan is Sensei Motokuni Sugiura. The JKA(AUS) Chief Instructor is Takahashi Sensei who visits Australia twice a year.

I didn't know there was more than one JKA.

I am enjoying the training again but it is frustrating when i throw a kick and it doesn't go where it should. :)

Lee

Edited by Pyran

If your inclined later down the road, I know that the JKA has a series of Kata videos out for sometime. They are the originals that were narrated by Nakayama Sensei, and translated in english. Tsumnami video carries them I know, but so do other places.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Let time do its job and help it with a lot of work and a great deal of patience and uunderstanding. It's good to be back and now it's time to realise the big step you've just taken. Gettin back into MA after 14 years is very hard (i had only 2 years apart from it and felt like a martian :) ). With time you'll be able to regain all your qualities and add some more. I see your sensei is aproachable and understands your problems. He'll be the one to help you, though it must be you who makes the difference.

Try to take it easy to avoid accidents and study at home. I used to browse the internet to gain as much knowledge as possible and it was OK.

Keep us posted and congratulations for your courage :karate:

Good luck with your return to training.

Just take it steady and enjoy it. 14 years is a long time to be absent from anything, especially martial arts. I know that it will be frustrating for you to have to (essentially) relearn everything again - but remember, you can now try and avoid making the mistakes you made the first time around!! lol Relax and I'm sure it will come back to you. You've already taken the hardest step in deciding to return to training after a serious accident and also after a 14 year absence.

Good luck with it all and don't forget to let us know how you're getting on!! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Second week update.

Just the act of training has improved my outlook on life. My Arthritus is giving me less trouble (According to my GP due to the increased movement and Glucosamine) and I'm feeling ontop of the world.

I've bought a new white belt and have been getting a lot of questions from the dans about what and where i used to train.

I have had to make a few minor changes to my Katas and was able to remember the five Heians and Tekki Shodan. I was a little vauge on Bassa Dai and Kanku Dai but Empi and Jion were no shows.

Its amazing what a little bit of your life back will do.

Lee:)