• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Study One Art or Multiple Arts?

That's way you train the mind and the body. I think many modern MA's disregard the philosophical aspects of MA's, but they have a specific purpose. Mind over matter is what it's all about. The reason a more experienced fighter is so dangerous is because he keeps it together in a fight and keeps calm.

1. the philosophical side of ma isn't necessary in regards to fighting.

2. think about it... you have a "modern ma" who trains everyday, hours a day, full contact sparring, while injured, etc....what are you gonna tell him about mind over matter? that's what we're all about. I have a strained meniscus and was still going to step into the ring and fight last night (I had to back out at the last second, as I was on call, and my job paged me) - it's mind over matter. When I get into the ring, guess what I use - what's ingrained in me. What I train to use. I know how to do a jump spinning heel kick, but will I ever use one in the ring/street? no. why? because I don't train to. I know over 50 judo throws - do I use them all in shiai? No. I use the 8 or so that I work most. Why? because those are what I train to use. Consequently, under pressure, that's what comes out.

So I agree and disagree with SevenStar's comment about adrenaline pump theory. It all depends upon the person and it is not an absolute for everyone. So some people can remember more in a fight than others, muscle memory or not. Some people have been in really hairy situations and if a situation doesn't reach the intensity of that previous circumstance the adrenaline pump will have little effect on this type of person.

there is no agree or disagree... it's a proven scientific fact. I'll see if I can dig up the study. tactical positioning, proper use of the hose, etc. are all things that fireman, police officers, soldiers, etc. train on a regular basis. Why? because it has to be second nature to them. that's why they are able to do it under pressure. Training. that's what they trian for. that same fireman may get focked up in a fight because he's not training to used certain techniques in a fight - he's training to put out a fire.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt I will ever try to learn any other MA besides Kuk Sool Won.

We cover quite a lot of different techniques, from the usual kicking and punching techniques, joint-locks, throws, and control techniques, to basic grappling. Weapons training is also part of the standard curriculum, with the Bong and Jool Bong being among the first ones you learn.

It's a pretty well-stocked system. :)

I actually think it being "well stocked" can be a draw back in some cases. you have more to focus on. your throwing will never be as good as that of a judoka, who constantly focuses on nothing but throwing. your punching will never be the caliber of a boxer, nor your weapons techniques to that of a kalista. Over time, you can still become a proficient fighter, but I question the efficiency of some of these styles when it comes to training. people criticize the jack of all trades thing, but training a style that teaches weapons, various striking, kicking, etc. is itself making you a jack of all trades...