• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Study One Art or Multiple Arts?

In my case, I studied MT for about seven years before trying anything else with any real dedication. My opinion is that it's best to have one art become "second nature" so to speak before trying to incorporate the complimentary mechanics of another. That way, you're essentially starting off with the second, where you began with the first and the two won't conflict as much in your training. If that makes any sense.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I like to train at least 2 MA's. I did Judo and TKD, now MT and hopefully BJJ. These are opposing styles and fill in the weaknesses of each other. It also means u don't get totally burnt out doing one thing. I mean face it everyone gets bored or injured when doing the same style. When my legs got banged up doing MT I could rest them and still train Hapkido or Judo. :P

Donkey

That's way you train the mind and the body. I think many modern MA's disregard the philosophical aspects of MA's, but they have a specific purpose. Mind over matter is what it's all about. The reason a more experienced fighter is so dangerous is because he keeps it together in a fight and keeps calm. There are people who can do this and people who cannot. Police officers, soldiers, warriors, fireman, etc. These people have the ability to think and react in intense situations.

So I agree and disagree with SevenStar's comment about adrenaline pump theory. It all depends upon the person and it is not an absolute for everyone. So some people can remember more in a fight than others, muscle memory or not. Some people have been in really hairy situations and if a situation doesn't reach the intensity of that previous circumstance the adrenaline pump will have little effect on this type of person.

Train the mind and the body will follow.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I think that it is a good idea provided that the arts use different skill sets. Boxing and judo for example. If the skill sets are too similar, you might get contradictory lesson on what is "best." boxers punch and move differently than wing chun guys. But boxing and judo will not have enough common ground to confuse the two.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

I think it depends on your reason for training in the first place. A child benefits from studying one art over a period of time, learning self discipline, etc.

For self defense or combat situations, multiple arts can be a big plus. Over the last 20 years, I have studied multiple arts, some offensive, some more defensive in nature. In my opinion, being ready for any situation mandates well-rounded training.

Training in multiple arts slows response time? Hardly. If you practice like you should, habits will form.

I doubt I will ever try to learn any other MA besides Kuk Sool Won.

We cover quite a lot of different techniques, from the usual kicking and punching techniques, joint-locks, throws, and control techniques, to basic grappling. Weapons training is also part of the standard curriculum, with the Bong and Jool Bong being among the first ones you learn.

It's a pretty well-stocked system. :)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

:lol: The Bong!!! Way out man, I knew it could knock u out but I didn't know they taught lessons. Do Masters Cheech and Chong teach there. :wink:

Donkey

I'll be studying a bit of WTF style TKD to complement my American Karate a bit - soon. I know WTF is more sport oriented, but that's kinda what I'm looking for right now.

Actually, TKD is already somewhat incorperated in my American Karate - I'm doing this primarily for the search of better sparring partners and tournament experience.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

:lol: The Bong!!! Way out man, I knew it could knock u out but I didn't know they taught lessons. Do Masters Cheech and Chong teach there. :wink:

:lol:

I had to ask twice to make sure I heard correctly when my instructor told me which weapons we would learn.

It was quite amusing that everyone looked around at each other to see if they were all thinking the same thing! :lol:

As you may know, Bong simply means "stick" in Korean... but I guess even that doesn't eliminate any double entendres from being associated with it. :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

having to much techniques will slow down reaction time in a fight.

that's not indicative of training in multiple styles. I can train in muay thai and judo and still have less techniques than a guy who trains in longfist. However, what you say is wrong.

when in a fight, your body will revert to whatever techniques are ingrained into your "muscle memory" you won't be thinking of a technique to use. whatever you are able to use off of reflex is what you will use in a fight.