• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Study One Art or Multiple Arts?

I was reading an article stating that you should focus on only one art until you've mastered that art. Focusing on more than one will distract/hinder you from perfecting either art. Kinda the "Jack of all trades, master of none" theory.

Any ideas on this theory would be appreciated.

Ron

World Musado Federation

Bong Soo Han IHF

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would suggest practicing one art for a very long time, at least five years or so before exposing yourself heavily to another style, if you are just adding a little bit from here and there it is ok, but if you are looking at understanding the basics and being competant at the basics of two very different styles then i would suggest that you have a good background to begin with so that you understand body movements at least.

After studying several arts and getting into the higher areas of each art you can see how arts can all work together in a higher form and meaning. Talking in means of.,....hmmmmm in a way everything you learn....yet in some aspect the parts you never talk about from each art....kind of hard to explain this connection....but for those that have been doing martial arts for around 20 plus years and worked with several styles, you'll understand me.....but speaking in terms to the newer practitioners....i would just leave it at simple study one style hard core, with some aspects of different arts added in, but nothing complex like forms, katas and such, keep it simple, talking technique wise....take a low kick from muay thai, open hand strikes of kung fu, some grappling arts, combine boxing strikes, with manipulation from aikido and a little bit of this and that....add little things in here and there....but never over do it...just do this for your own understanding and growth in the arts, now after you have studied one art heavily for a good deal of time and start to understand the mental disciplines behind it then move on and start a new style...work with it and see the similarities and differences...and keep going on and on and on....time will fly by and you will have learned much, you'll know what is effective for your body type...what is ineffective and so forth....so i encourage studying multiple styles but only after you have a good background in the basics of at least on style...and yes i consider black belt just the basics, from there is where you really start to learn.....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

After some years in the art you'll come to understand it's mechanism and be able to differentiate between arts. Once taking another style you'll be able to switch to the new techniques, compare, try to understand their strenghts and flaws and so on. MA training is firts of all an intelectual process :karate:

i dont believe thats true at all

your reaction time will depend on how much you practice and train the techniques that you judge to be street effective...

I have learned numerous techniques over the years but there are certain techs that i find useful for myself in a street situation, these are the techniques that i train and practice harder than all the rest because i know they are effective for me.

i practice the low kicks and some high fast kicks, back fists , jabs, and such

i dont practice spinning or jumping kicks much

and other things too much......mostly the basics are what is effective....mostly, at least for me...

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

here's how that works - when you are in a high intensity situation, heart rate increases and adrenaline pumps. Once your heart rate goes above 120, you will forget everything that is not ingrained into your muscle memory. So, if you train eye gouges every so often and have never really used one, chances are, you won't use it. If you do full contact sparring and always kick to the head, chances are you will kick to the head.

I agree with SevenStar.

They don't call it fight or flight for nothing. Reality training can't even guarentee this synthesis because you are expecting "reality" in your dojo. The key word is expecting. Possibly the only thing that would help you control your reactions better is constantly going over "reality" situations in your mind (as long as you are staying simple and real to your training).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 2 months later...

To begin with you can still train in two or more arts, so long as they compliment each other. It would be more difficult as a beginner to try and incorporate two systems where for example, one system emphasises a high cente of gravity and the other a low, e.g. Shotokan and Western boxing. The techniques of each styles will interfere with each other and confuse you.

An example of two arts that would compliment each other would be Ba Gua and Tai Chi.

Later when you have more experience you can train in multiple arts that differ, because you will be able to combine them in a coherent way.